Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

trouble starting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Default trouble starting when cold

2003 pt sometimes when its cold it wont engage the starter you can start by crossing starter post. When its warm it starts everytime.Replaced sol. wire to fuse box replaced starter relay in fuse box. Think maybe the Pcm is not working right, also the engine light came on once. Code said evap system failure which is also controlled by the Pcm. Had the light shut off and so far it has stayed off. This is not a turbo. Also I thought I seen something about the sparkplugs and factory wires had to be upgraded and if the timing belt breaks does this engine bend the valves?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM

I t took almost two weeks to get it tested but here is the results the starter relay has five prongs looking towards the firewall you have 3 in back 2 in front the middle prong on the back is blank when the car is working right with just the key on the posts are as follows left front is pos right front is nothing back left is nothing back right is neg when holding the key in start position left front pos right front is neg left rear is pos right rear neg when the car wont start on a cold morning holding the key forward to start the right front has nothing and the left rear has nothing what ever these 2 wires go to is the problem but my wiring diagram dosent tell me what each wire goes to

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Look on the bottom of the relay you will see numdered pins...86...87 etc. You may need a magnifying glass.

84 Yellow-Power from Ignition switch. (Hot with ignition on)
82 Tan - PCM control. This is a ground circuit the PCM closes. If your PCM is bad you can actually run this to permanent ground BUT, it bypasses your security and neutral safety so I would not normally advise it.

85 Red - Battery power (always hot)
81 Brown - This is your Solenoid wire to the starter.

83....is nothing just 81 at rest.