Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Instrument Cluster Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Default 1996 Instrument Cluster Problems

Van is a 1996 T&C with 3.3L engine.

My gauges, odometer, and all warning lights on the instrument cluser are dead and my van won't start. I am in the process of determining if the instrument cluster itself is bad or if I have other immobilizer issues. I am aware of the instrument cluster issues and have checked the continuity of the socket to the cluster on all pins used.

Several questions, if I may.

1) If the plug to the cluster is connected with the CCD bus connections removed (pins 9 & 10 on the instrument cluster) should the odometer or any other warning lights light up?

2) Does the overhead console get its information from the instrument cluster or does it come from other modules? (Most of the info on the overhead console is "dashed out" but the self diagnostic test on the OH console results in "PASS".)

3) Should the engine start and run with the instrument cluster plug disconnected from the instrument cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

leave the cluster unplugged if U start and run that is your prob the other questions are irrelevant

Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Default Does Not Start

I have disconnected the instrument cluster and the van does not start. I have checked that there is 12 volts constantly on the B+ at the coil pack during cranking. The other three leads at the coil pack do have pulses on the grounds. Both the primary and secondary resistances at the coil pack are correct. I have verified that there is 8 volts on the orange wire to the crank and cam position sensors. The other 2 leads on both the crank and cam position sensors change from .3 to 5 volts, depending on the position of the engine crank and cam shafts. The fuel injectors are getting pulses, the fuel pump is working and the fuel pressure is just under 50 pounds at the schraeder valve.

Any suggestions where to look next?

Thanks.