Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 CRD Timing belt. Loads of damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Default Jeep Cam Belt Busted

My Jeep Cherokee 04 2.5crd cam belt broke today. Car jolted to a stop. Engine cranked but wouldn't fire. Peeked under cam belt cover and discovered to my shack and horror belt was gone. Wondering what kind of damage to expect.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 PM

It looks to be the same engine as is in mines (someone more knowledgeable will know for sure but they're both 2499cc and 141 bhp)

The damage internally was the 8 x rockers Merlin had said, if you look back over the thread, I think I've got the other costs noted.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM

You are one lucky bunny if what Merlin says is right in your case, certainly some engines are designed to "fail-safe" in the case of a snapped cam-belt. I've even seen a small booklet which indicated just which engines were badly damaged by snapped cam-belts, and curiously, most of the good ones were italian.

My Audi 100 Avant estate of many moons ago (2.5ltr. 5cyl. diesel 3-speed automatic) that went like the bats out of hell, broke it's cam-belt, snapped the o/h camshaft in 5 places and wrecked the journals it ran in. These were in the cyl. head. A new head cost more than the vehicle was worth (over £2,500 in the nineties) , so I tried a s/hand one. It refused to start no matter what anyone did with it. It was sold for scrap, in fact a write-off.

I have the receipt for replacement at 85,000mile of the cambelt on my GV., one of the reasons I bought it.

All classic London black cabs use this engine, and many do a quarter million miles and more as it's a very understressed engine.

Everyone's got fingers crossed for you.

Leedsman.

Oh, BTW, some of the latest Gates belts are reckoned to last 150,000mile.

Last edited by Leedsman; 12-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Default My experience

Hi there. Firstly I would like to say hi to everybody on here being my first post.
My voyager suffered a cambelt failure a few weeks ago. I work for a garage in Croydon and the mechanic got 2 hours into it and basically told me "it's dead"

I really love my chrysler so I looked into my options.
These were :-
Bin it
2nd hand engine
Try to repair

After reading this very thread and also being lucky enough to have a new parts man (who used to work for chrysler and had a friend who was a chrysler mechanic) I decided to look at this as a repair.
The chrysler guys were telling me that I would have done the followers guaranteed and that a new set from chrysler is over £800. Ouch.

However, I found a good source on eBay who were selling new rockers and lifters for 12.90 each. The postage was a bit eye watering but if a full set of 16 was bought, postage was free.

So I bought the followers, cambelt kit, gasket and injector seals off eBay. Also got a set of discs and pads. The whole lot was a little over £400.

So yesterday morning I gave the parts to the mechanic. He rang me at 5.15 that afternoon to tell me he was done and I could pick up my car.

So thank you all for all the info and to anyone who has suffered a cambelt failure, it is possible to save these lovely vehicles.