Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5crd 02 white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM

Scotsman did you ever get to the bottom of the white smoke issue you had in 2010

Old 12-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Was just reading this thread and think there is flaws in it. As for the loss in compression in one of the cylinders I would go for a burnt valve rather than piston rings as these are more reliable. White smoke on starting definitely diesel not igniting properly due to heater plugs. Then the one that allways comes up on here under different faults, the battery. You need a good battery to make it start as forby power going to the starter there is other electrics that need that 12+Volts or starting will be troublesome.
As too the starter, how do you know your starter is doing its job right. I bring this up because my starter just gave up the ghost at a Tes*o's a fortnight ago. It was up till then starting ok I thought. (Bit slow for Months take note". I replaced it with a secondhand one and sure enough what a Different on the speed it turned the engine.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Was just reading this thread and think there is flaws in it. As for the loss in compression in one of the cylinders I would go for a burnt valve rather than piston rings as these are more reliable. White smoke on starting definitely diesel not igniting properly due to heater plugs. Then the one that allways comes up on here under different faults, the battery. You need a good battery to make it start as forby power going to the starter there is other electrics that need that 12+Volts or starting will be troublesome.
As too the starter, how do you know your starter is doing its job right. I bring this up because my starter just gave up the ghost at a Tes*o's a fortnight ago. It was up till then starting ok I thought. (Bit slow for Months take note". I replaced it with a secondhand one and sure enough what a Different on the speed it turned the engine.

I have 2 batteries for the GV an Optima red top and another fully charged in the boot just in case and white smoke always happens with either battery. Problem is embrassing in winter or when cold as its a cloud of white smoke. Car hesitates to start but always starts on the first atgempt. The rest of the day there is no white smoke at all. Just first time when I start it in the day

Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 AM
tfb

white smoke that make's your eyes sting on a diesel is a sign of unburnt fuel.

options are either correct amount amount of fuel is going into the cylinder but not all getting burnt - glowplugs, compression, injection pattern etc. or there is excess fuel in the cylinder first thing in the morning - dripping injector(s).

If the white smoke doesn't make your eyes sting then it's probably steam.

Richard