Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2001 Voyager Key Programming

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM

A couple of us here have scanners that will give access to that area of the Chrysler brain, the chime you mention the software calls beep, but if I was to invoke say a CAN instruction of for example a 'beep on lock' it doesn't work on the 05 Euro code. Another example would be that the US and other countries have the 'panic mode' on their keyFOB whereas the UK in particular and Europe in general they do not .. .. this panic button is the home computer equivalent of the 'return key command' instruction in certain Chrysler customer programming preference[s], but without this 6th key we have no way of sending the instruction.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 AM

OK right... partly understood..

So, as I understood it.. you have an OBD scanner that can access the Chrysler unique CAN OPEN commands... ie not only the generic OBD command set ??

I'm guessing that's what the dealers must use to upload or similar, the vehicle specific RFID key code to enable them to program a new key ??

That's to say... I take my car to the Chrysler dealer, they upload the RFID code for my particular car, then use that to program a new blank key ?

maybe, as you say the function(s) to program a new key using the described procedure is not available in the UK specific (or non USA specific) instruction set ?? Can't imagine why not though, because programming a new key is a pretty basic requirement you'd think ?

MG

Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by matgriff
OK right... partly understood..

So, as I understood it.. you have an OBD scanner that can access the Chrysler unique CAN OPEN commands... ie not only the generic OBD command set ??

I'm guessing that's what the dealers must use to upload or similar, the vehicle specific RFID key code to enable them to program a new key ??

That's to say... I take my car to the Chrysler dealer, they upload the RFID code for my particular car, then use that to program a new blank key ?

maybe, as you say the function(s) to program a new key using the described procedure is not available in the UK specific (or non USA specific) instruction set ?? Can't imagine why not though, because programming a new key is a pretty basic requirement you'd think ?

MG
HiYa matgriff,

In your country as I understand it you can get a 'read' from almost anywhere [mentioned almost every week on this forum] in any state and its free. Here its around a rip-off $150 US Dollar equivalent before any main stealer will even allow you anywhere near.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 AM

Hi... Ok I'm based in England.... so subject to all the rip off's that we have to put up wit... hence the fact that I've serviced & repaired my 2001 CRD since it was new

Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Hi... Ok I'm based in England.... so subject to all the rip off's that we have to put up wit... hence the fact that I've serviced & repaired my 2001 CRD since it was new
- ok M8, thanks for that, I continue to wish this forum would put a 'click on your country flag' in everyone's profile
- my motivation in this quest is to find a safe way for UK residents to DIY and avoid the unspeakable iniquity that is the UK main stealers pricing model

Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Ok thanks... yes it seems a bit strange, I looked at a few sites for re-programming Chrysler RFID keys and they described the same procedure, there are also a few video's on you tube.

I must say all the ones I saw were from USA, and actually the UK voyager does not have the same "chime" that the US model has

I'm guessing that the flashing lights needs to be the one that comes on, then goes off if the correct key is inserted & flashes if the wrong key is inserted ? ie the immobiliser LED ??

How can you re-code the country ???

Mat
It [the chime] is in the Chrysler software, but not I suspect written to the 'body' EEPROM as base code. For example I can get to it and see it with a scanner, I can even switch it off / and / or / on in the UK code but it will never make the chime ditto the 'beep' with the alarm function. Whether or not I could do it by changing to a~n~other country code and then setting the chime as an on function preference I've no idea - I've never needed to find out.