Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2004 T/C front blower not working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Default 2004 T/C front blower not working.

Hello. I've tried to research this as much as I can but I havent found any definative answer yet to my problem. My front blower stopped working on my 2004 T/C van recently.....but it does something specific which no one else has mentioned with their non-working blower motor. Also, it does NOT have the auto temp either. So what it does thats strange is the A/C button will turn the A/C on/off no matter what position the front blower switch is in. Even if the front blower switch is OFF, the A/C button light can be turned on and the A/C compressor will engage. When the front blower was working correctly, if the blower switch was OFF then so was all A/C function as well but now thats not the case. I thought it was possibly a faulty blower switch but I keep reading of guys mentioning replacing the blower motor resistor under pass side dash but 1) I'm not sure what I'm looking for to locate that item and 2) I called a parts store only to find out they want almost $100 for this part. There's no way I'm "trying" anything with $100 only to not be able to return it if thats not the problem. Is there a definitive and easy way to test? Thank you for any help.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 PM

No worries. I fixed it. It was the blower motor resister. I tried another parts store and they wanted $15 instead of the $100 I was quoted by the other parts store.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Thought I needed to ask this since after I installed the new resister. The blower fan works but the new resister gets VERY hot and smelled for a little while until it maybe burnt in? Not sure. But I'm concerned about how hot it gets since I want to make sure this is right. Also, the new resister is very different and nothing in appearance like the old one. The old one was more mechanical looking with a metal screen cage where the new one looks completely solid state and has no cage.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Normal, Normal, .....And Normal....

Dont worry about the heat generated in the resistor. That is why it was positioned in the "Airflow" side of the heater box.

The GREEN CERAMIC "Solid state look" is the new generation design, and is far superior to the "CAGED" one....AT dissipating heat, which is the most common cause of failure.

Provided it fits, the bolt holes line up , and no air leaks from around it, the two are completely interchangeable. There are a few after market companies who produce VERY POORLY SPEC'D Resistors, but it will be completely obvious that it isnt right when you try to install it.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Thank you. I dont know if its "quality" or not but it does fit nicely and seems to work nicely too besides the heat generated.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM

I have a 2004 Chrysler town and country with Automatic Temperature Control. For the last year the A/C and heater were not working all the time. You would be driving and the A/C would work for different lengths of time then it would stop working and then come on again. Finally the unit stopped blowing all together. I read several post and got advice and was told to change the blower motor resistor. That was easy enough. I followed the directions and took the negative terminal off the battery, replaced the resistor behind the glove box hooked the battery back up and nothing. The unit still does not work on heat or A/C. Could it be the relay switch located in the fuse box? Don't know what to do please help anyone.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kmcross1972
I have a 2004 Chrysler town and country with Automatic Temperature Control. For the last year the A/C and heater were not working all the time. You would be driving and the A/C would work for different lengths of time then it would stop working and then come on again. Finally the unit stopped blowing all together. I read several post and got advice and was told to change the blower motor resistor. That was easy enough. I followed the directions and took the negative terminal off the battery, replaced the resistor behind the glove box hooked the battery back up and nothing. The unit still does not work on heat or A/C. Could it be the relay switch located in the fuse box? Don't know what to do please help anyone.
Kmcross1972 Has entered this post three times on this forum on three active threads. Disregard his post in this thread. Instead go here:
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-heater-16697/

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Default 2005 T&C 3 Zone digital ATC Heater & AC

The current symptoms are ;

1) 10-15 min delay in obtaining heat in all vents indoor garage temp 16C
2) longer delay for heat in rear vents
3) Unable to control rear temp heat and blower speed from front when in auto mode
4) temp variance in front defrost, windshield hot, door windows warm.
- same temp in all vents when turned dial to vents and feet

Changed coolant and quality of coolant
Changed thermostat
Checked all vents and front/ rear blowers steady flow of air
Checked all settings of front fan speed and all work

thinking of changing front blower resistor behind glove box?

Any ideas, currently have heat in -30C weather, but seems it could defenitely be hoter or work better. Even when driving on hwy for 30 mins engine temp slow to climb but even when at half temp air blows somewhat cold when heat is set to high.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

If all of your blower motor speeds work, replacing the resistor will improve nothing for your heat situation. I know when it gets that cold in our area, the van heats ok. Might want to try limiting air flow through the radiator.