Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring - Strange Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Default 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring - Strange Issue

So, I am having quite an issue and Chrysler's only answer is to tow it to a dealership.

I have a 2008 T & C Touring van. After church last night, I went to open the van and the locks would not disengage with either the FOB or the emergency key. I have two FOBs and both have the same results. The emergency key will turn, but the lock will not disengage.

I also noticed a flashing red light on the dash that I have never seen before. It is small and circular, and flashes red every 3 or 4 seconds. Anybody have any ideas on what it might be or any fixes before I spend big money on a tow and dealership labor?

Thanks!
Joe

Old 12-07-2015, 09:47 AM

SKIM indicator for the Factory alarm have a read here. Wait until someone who knows posts here - I don't have an 08+, best of luck.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
SKIM indicator for the Factory alarm have a read here. Wait until someone who knows posts here - I don't have an 08+, best of luck.
Thanks for your feedback. I too assume it has something to do with the alarm. I have read about unhooking the battery cable, but since I am locked out of the van I can unlatch the hood.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:11 PM

I thought the 08's had a Keyless Fobik can't you enter the van at all ? I thought they had a pull out emergency key blade in the FOB.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:51 PM

Were you having problems starting car before then, like battery not spinning engine quick enough.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:19 PM

No problems before the incident and it does have the emergency key in the FOB, but it also wouldn't unlock the door.

I hired a locksmith to get me in the van. Upon open the door, the alarm went off. I quickly silenced it when I put the FOB in the ignition and turned the key. The van started with no problem, and both FOBs started working again. The light on the dash shut off. The only issue I see is the emergency key in the FOB still doesn't unlock the door. I will need to do some further investigation on that.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 AM

That sounds very unusual. Normally it would be due to a power drain/low battery condition as QinteQ was alluding to.
However, the emergency key not working is more of a concern, the key fits in the lock, yes? The key turns, yes/no? When it turns is there any resistance?

How did the locksmith get in the car, pick the lock or smash a window?

I'm thinking your external locks may have been changed and the physical key you have is different, since the key works in the ignition barrel it indicates the key matches the car, but maybe not the locks. Did you try all locks, passenger, boot, etc, just to see if any would fit that key?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM

I read about this happening with another car where they couldn't get in. They eventually for an unknown reason found the drivers door linkage had disconnected. Look into what key does in drivers door, if it doesn't unlock it possible linkage fault. And fob signal not operating it. Maybe someones been trying to get in with a lever tool.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jbsound
No problems before the incident and it does have the emergency key in the FOB, but it also wouldn't unlock the door.

I hired a locksmith to get me in the van. Upon open the door, the alarm went off. I quickly silenced it when I put the FOB in the ignition and turned the key. The van started with no problem, and both FOBs started working again. The light on the dash shut off. The only issue I see is the emergency key in the FOB still doesn't unlock the door. I will need to do some further investigation on that.
Do you have a FOB or a FOBIK ? Do you have start button or a key start on your 08 ?

The little key should open the door then when inside you can 're-marry' your proximity FOBIK to the SKIM When the RKE transmitter would not recognise [flat battery or airport / transmitter / CB radio interference etc] the FOBIK the valet / emergency key should open the door why it doesn't I've no idea maybe an 08 owner in here can answer. The obvious is that its just not cut right to fit or just not cut at all. You can buy them anywhere in the world as blanks and get them cut maybe yours is a blank. Best of luck.