Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

3rd. Tranny Rebuild in 3 months

Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Default 3rd. Tranny Rebuild in 3 months

At 103,000 my '05 Caravan tranny died in spite of 30,000 mile fluid/filter changes.

It was rebuilt by a reputable local indepentent tranny shop in September. About 6 weeks later it went out again and they rebuilt it. They claimed that the pump they installed as part of the rebuild went bad.

This week it started acting up again on a long trip (o.k. on short trips). I checked the fluid level and it was 1/2 inch + overfilled (cold weather/warm engine)... I'm guessing at least 40 ounces over. I Did NOT notice any foaming.

It's in the shop again getting rebuilt for the third time. They have a great rep. locally and said they have done tons of these trannies. They are eating this because it's under warranty.

Comments??? Is this tranny sensitive to over filling and could that cause damage? A net search is inconclusive. They said it is vented, so this should not be the cause.

Other ideas. We are getting VERY frustrated. Thanks, everyone.

Last edited by Treefrog; 12-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would say they did not replace something or did not do it right if it messes up again I would ask for a replacement trans that they have not been in.

What does it d when it goes out.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 AM

When the tranny first went out, it developed a loud whine and started "slipping" out of gear, and threw some codes. It then would hesitate engaging in or out of gear when coming to a stop. We had it towed.

On the second and third breakdowns it had the same symptoms (not like the first time). No codes/lights thrown this time. It drove fine on short trips around town, but acted up on longer trips after about 40 minutes driving at 70-75.

It seemed to drop out of 4th. gear into 3rd, the engine would "surge" or speed up. It would then continue to search between 3rd. and 4th. gear, then settle back into 4th. for awhile. Letting off on the accelerator would seem to help end the problem, but then it would come back. This is my perception....I don't know if it was changing gears or just slipping.

On the second rebuild he said they found metal shavings in the pan and he claimed the pump they installed went bad.

Thanks for any insight. YOU DON'T THINK THE HIGH FLUID LEVEL CAUSED ANYTHING?

They are frustrated too, as they said they successfully rebuild many of these trannies.

Finally, because it is under their repair warranty, are they responsible to make everything right? Could they claim there is something wrong with, lets say, the tranny case and request that I give them more money for something they aren't responsible for?

Last edited by Treefrog; 12-09-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

no that much over full wont do anything like that

I bet they did not change out the check valve or u have a trans cooler clogged up burning up the trans because it cant cool it off.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Well, my wife just got the van back (I'm working out of town).

They put about 120 miles on it and couldn't duplicate my symptoms. They couldn't duplicate the symptoms on the second rebuild, but said there were metal filings/shavings in the pan that time. My wife answered the phone yesterday and all he said was " we pulled the pan and didn't like what we saw".

They have never really told me what they found wrong. Why?

This time the repair slip says "Rebuild ANOTHER unit and install w/converter and inline filter".

I'm confused. Because this work is under their warranty, they have no reason not to fix it correctly. Did they screw something up the first two times, but are not telling us. Or, is this just "one of those pesky, troublesome fixes"? I know sometimes poop happens, no matter the skill level or procedures followed.

He did say that the pump and (I think) the converter are rebuilt, not new. But all the shops around said they use rebuilt pumps/converters.

A Chrysler factory rebuilt unit (3 yr. warranty) was quoted to me as about $2,300 dollars, plus install labor.

Thanks for your input and any thoughts you have/will share.

Fingers crossed for good luck.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM

One week after this third rebuild, the symptoms came back....searching between 4th. and 3rd. gear.

In a test drive, their tranny code reader showed nothing. But, his engine code reader diagnosed a defective throttle position sensor (no code, but fluctuating voltage).

He replaced that and now we wait to see.

More frightening, when I went to show him the high fluid level, this time it was nearly 5 inches above the full hot mark and bubbly (air). He gasped. They removed the excess fluid and he reassured me that this would not cause damage.

A Chrysler mechanic I related this to said high fluid levels CAN fry this tranny. Who do I believe???

All I can do is wait and see. The shop said bring it back (warranty) if problems persist. Sigh.

Comments?