Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

62TE Transmission codes P0734 and P0792

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 PM

I didn't have these issues until I had a valve seat drop and replaced the head and piston. I think I could have a driveline issue causing the codes because I couldn't get the cross member isolator back up all the way. Maybe I put the structural collar in the wrong way.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 PM

So how do we fix it? This is one of the main problems with the T&C. How come no-one on here doesn't have a clear answer on what is the cause and how to fix the Transmission errors that are causing tens of thousands of customers tens of thousands of dollars? The sensors used to be $7 just 5yrs ago, now they are $40 or more!
We should be able to have a clear detailed report on this issue. The P0731, 2, 3, 4 and P07XX's should be fixed for free since 70% or more of the vehicles have this issue.
Weird part is that 95% of them happen after 100k miles and no warranty by then. They are making literally 500 million dollars from us due to sensors and flawed electric design.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you getting your data from?
"causing tens of thousands of customers tens of thousands of dollars?"
"They are making literally 500 million dollars from us due to sensors and flawed electric design."

So how do we fix it? This is one of the main problems with the T&C. What issues is it that your having? What codes what symptoms?
As for why no one on here has a clear answer to the issue that your having? Well maybe its not the same as everyone else. Maybe just maybe yours has on of the other related possibilities what the code your asking about. Main assumption I get all the time when asked about a check engine light.
A- just because the word speed sensor,oxygen sensor,map ect what ever sensor is listed in the description does not mean that the sensor has an issue. Codes are simply a way for a tech to start looking in what area.

B Web forums will fix everything. Also not true, Just about every situation is not the same and unless you have had someone look at the issue at hand it may not be the same. Web forums like that are a source of information and ideas, on what could possibly be the issue, where to go look what others have seen and done. Its not the bible nore should it be taken as such. So complaining why someone on here has not fixed your certain issue and tell you what to go replace is kinda asinine.
If your willing to put in the work and perform what tests as asked of you several of us on here will help out when available. My knowledge did not come free and i dont freely offer it unless the one receiving it is willing to put some work into it and is gracious for such info.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
Where are you getting your data from?
"causing tens of thousands of customers tens of thousands of dollars?"
"They are making literally 500 million dollars from us due to sensors and flawed electric design."

So how do we fix it? This is one of the main problems with the T&C. What issues is it that your having? What codes what symptoms?
As for why no one on here has a clear answer to the issue that your having? Well maybe its not the same as everyone else. Maybe just maybe yours has on of the other related possibilities what the code your asking about. Main assumption I get all the time when asked about a check engine light.
A- just because the word speed sensor,oxygen sensor,map ect what ever sensor is listed in the description does not mean that the sensor has an issue. Codes are simply a way for a tech to start looking in what area.

B Web forums will fix everything. Also not true, Just about every situation is not the same and unless you have had someone look at the issue at hand it may not be the same. Web forums like that are a source of information and ideas, on what could possibly be the issue, where to go look what others have seen and done. Its not the bible nore should it be taken as such. So complaining why someone on here has not fixed your certain issue and tell you what to go replace is kinda asinine.
If your willing to put in the work and perform what tests as asked of you several of us on here will help out when available. My knowledge did not come free and i dont freely offer it unless the one receiving it is willing to put some work into it and is gracious for such info.
WELL SAID and HOORAY to you for such a response!

Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

It looks like this issue has remained somewhat unresolved for some folks. I've been troubleshooting it myself, and have finally narrowed it down. After changing the sensors and checking for alternator ripple, ohming out all the wires and solenoids and connectors, I did some more research. It turns out a common cause for P0792 and P0734 or P0733 is in the compounder. The sealing rings grind away at the ring land on the low clutch retaining drum. I pulled my compounder out and tore it apart, but that wasn't actually the problem. It was related though. The apply piston in my low clutch drum of the compounder had a damaged seal. I made a couple of videos if anyone wants to see what that looks like.

Part 1

Part 2

Hopefully the info will help somebody out someday.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:39 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by CirellaFamily
UPDATE: I took my T&C back to the dealer (after the transmission rebuild) to have them solve this mystery problem. They had it for 1.5 weeks and could find nothing but the wires I had bypassed during my troubleshooting. I had them rewire the sensors and they then suspected the TRS(Transmission Range Sensor) switch because of the instrument cluster indication. They asked me if the Compounder was replaced during the rebuild and I informed them that it was rebuilt but not replaced. They then pull the side cover off to look at the TRS and wiring. When the pulled the cover they said that they found chips in the pan and that it looked to be coming from the Compounder. They siad the the wiring looked ok and gave me an estimate for a Compounder inspection. I called my transmission mechanic(He rebuilt this trans) and he suggested that I bring it back to him because, "you hired me to do the rebuild and I should complete the work". That kind of integrity is rare nowadays, but I digress. My trans mechanic pulled the pans and could find no evidence of chips or fuzz. He proceeded to pull the tranny and go through it to ensure no contamination existed. He then pulled the Compounder out and apart and it looked like new. He mic'd out all the components and checked for warpage but the compounder was perfect. He had another rebuild kit in his shop and he rebuilt the compounder for a second time, just to be sure. He put it back together and replaced the TRS while re-assemling it, to fix the boxes around the trans position indication on the instrument cluster. (the indication problem started after the transmission rebuild, so my trans mech said he would replace that part antway as he did not catch that problem when he test drove it after the rebuild) When he went to test drive the van, the boxes around the indicators were still there. A little frustrated he went back through what he did on the original rebuild and he noted that he had replaced the solendoid body as a possible cause for the transmission codes(P0734 & P0792) I had been getting. Since all the signals from the TRS go throught the solenoid body connector he put a new solenoid body on my transmission and this fixed the indication issue. he then test drove the van and the P0734 & P0792 codes did not reappear. He drove the van for 10-15 mile with no problems (these codes would set within 5 miles everytime before). I picked the van up on Christmas Eve and it has been working great for the last week. So it looks like the P0734 & P0792 codes were corrected by the replacement of the TRS. As unlikely as that sounds, it is the only part, that was changed, which caused a change in the trouble codes.
If the TRS was the problem then I wonder how many remanufactured transmission were replaced for this simular issue, as a remanufactured unit would have a new TRS installed?
$4000.00 fix for a $30.00 part?
I am just happy that my T&C is back on the road and I will update should this problem rear it's ugly head again
Oh man, this read like a good book! I am having the same problem and at times I was having heart palpitations with the idea of rebuilding transmissions and rewiring everything. Thank you for this!