Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing OBDII data from Town&Country 2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Default Missing OBDII data from Town&Country 2003

Hello

I bought a PLX devices OBDII reader a little while ago, and was seriously surprised to find that my plain, 3.3L V6 base model Town & Country 2003 (VIN starts 2C4GP) didn't give out -any- fuel consumption data, not even intake air temperature...it doesn't support SAE.MAF, but I know most Chryslers won't use a airflow sensor but instead use SAE.MAP, which it appears to support but which gives me no data.

Without even intake data, I can't calculate MPG, so I'm stuck..

Anyone here know what I'm talking about? Is it possible that my T&C is completely missing the IAT sensor? How would I go about getting one in there? Is it possible it -is- there but the computer isn't reading it?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

if U want instant MPG ant any given time buy a scan guage2 about 170 bucks hooks up to OBD2 connector and give a good display of what ever sensors u want.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
if U want instant MPG ant any given time buy a scan guage2 about 170 bucks hooks up to OBD2 connector and give a good display of what ever sensors u want.
Thank you, but won't the ScanGauge need the same values as any other OBDII sensor? In their manuals, it says it uses FIA, CIA for intake-air temperature and MAP (manifold absolute pressure) values for MPG calculation. So surely, if as I've said, the 2003 town&country doesn't seem to be reporting those values to the odb reader I've got, it won't provide them to the scangauge either?

What I'm after is someone who could tell me whether for some reason, the base model T&C of early 2000's wouldn't report things like IAT and MAP/MAF through the OBD port...

Am I missing something?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by davidplans

What I'm after is someone who could tell me whether for some reason, the base model T&C of early 2000's wouldn't report things like IAT and MAP/MAF through the OBD port...

Am I missing something?
It does. I read them all the time. You're not just going to go out and find a scan tool for a couple hundred bucks that gives you all the data stream you want. Scan tool manufacturers are in it to make money just like everyone else. Either spend the big bucks or borrow someone's.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

U wont be able to do the math fast enough any way the scan gauge does it for u does not matter what scanner u have unless it is the top of the line the data that U would need is not show en and point less to any one that is doing simple stuff that data is only for trained eyes that know what they should be reading at any given time.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM

U wont be able to do the math fast enough any way the scan gauge does it for u does not matter what scanner u have unless it is the top of the line the data that U would need is not show en and point less to any one that is doing simple stuff that data is only for trained eyes that know what they should be reading at any given time.
Well, what I'm doing is using the PLX kiwi wifi (obd reader):

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/

which transmits obdII over a wifi network it broadcasts, and DashCommand, Palmer devices iPhone/iPad applciation, which does the 'math'. Keep in mind that I've tested this combination in a Dodge Grand Caravan 2003 and another Chysler Town & Country 2003 LXi, and on both those vehicles, I got not only MPG, but trip calculation, real-time mpg, rpm, torque, etc.

So, the setup I'm running works on other very similar minivans, just not on mine. I've worked with Palmer devices to try to debug what's going on, and they're telling me it looks like my T&C is simply not reporting values for SAE.MAP and SAE.IAT, without which or SAE.MAF, DashCommand can't work...

Any thoughts?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I dont know what to tell u then U dont have a MAF
if the sensor were not working right or not being reported then the computer would have the light on.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 PM

I dont know what to tell u then U dont have a MAF
if the sensor were not working right or not being reported then the computer would have the light on.
Yup that's the thing, not having a MAF is weird enough, but no MAP and no IAC? I mean without that, how does the computer even know air temperature isn't sky high on intake?

But since you're right and the computer would complain if a key sensor was malfunctioning, is there a way I can check whether IAC or MAP sensors are there?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

U do have a map and U do have an IAC the intake sensor is plugged into the back of the intake tube off the air filter and the map is the only sensor on top of the intake.
its basically this what U wave is just not gonna work with your van could be a software glitch