Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

98 Town & Country rear hatch will not open

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Unhappy 98 Town & Country rear hatch will not open

Extremely frustrated, I have been searching the web forums and attempting all the information on how to get the rear hatch to open. This is the second time this has happened. Last fall my brother did get it to open. I open it almost daily and again last month it stopped opening again. You pull the handle and nothing. Yesterday I spent over 2 hours working on it, took the rear panel off and have been spraying the lock and the mechanism, (not the electronics) with WD40 and all I now have is a greasy mess and the key lock still will not turn and the hatch will not open. I am not sure at all what the problem is. When you press the remote button the lock does move back and forth at the electronic part. I am not a mechanic so I do not know the correct names of the parts and I cannot find a schematic on line of what parts or what. I am not afraid to do things, but I do not want to really break something that may not be the problem. I purchased this van because I am a dog show vendor and need to use the rear hatch to load and unload my booth. Season is starting up and I need to get this hatch to open and close again.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

SO wont unlock with the key nor will it unlock with the remote? do u hear anything when u use the remote the normal lock and unlock sound?

U can loosen up the top half of the panel reach your arm down in the middle u will feel a metal link u can pull on it to manually release the latch and open the trunk then get it freed. Or take it to a shop and let them do it.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM

I have done what you have suggested yesterday and the lock does click back and forth when you use the remote. yesterday I did remove the panel and watched it move when I pressed the remote, in fact my neighbor asked me why my horn kept beeping. the entire panel has been removed.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Oh I am so sorry, I forgot to say thank you for replying to my thread.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

ok so its not a lock issue then there is an adjustment u can do where the handle is tighter and allow it to look at where the handle goes to the latch assembly the rod will have screw like ending into a clip remove it from the clip then take off any slack from the rod to the clip by pulling down on the rod then clip the rod back into place this will allow the outside handle to full release the latch and open the door.