Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

99 3.3 lt uk spec overheating and fans not coming on

Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Default 99 3.3 lt uk spec overheating and fans not coming on

Hi Everyone,

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone on this forum, they have been a massive help and after trawling through old posts I have learned so much. I have not posted for a while because of computer problems and password issues etc but just being able to read posts has been helpful. I do have a problem with my 99 3.3 lt grand voyager. We have had a cold snap here in Scotland and while sitting in traffic the fans came on to cool the coolant down as you would expect. But then they stayed on for a considerable time even once the temp was right down (almost cold) they stayed on and they continued to run even after I switched off the ignition and temp was so low. After turning off and on the ignition a few times they stopped (didn't want the battery to drain). Anyway now the fans do not come on atall and it overheated, I switched off to cool down, to protect the engine. Now I have changed the thermostat which was actually broken thinking that was my problem but still the fans do not come on once temp goes past the norm. I have checked the 40 amp fuse which is fine and seen other posts here talking about the fan relay. I have located it and sourced a replacement. My question is before I spend the £50 this relay is going to cost me, does anyone on here think this will definitely be my problem? I would hate to spend £50 on this part to find out the old one was fine. Is there a way to bypass the relay on a temporary basis or is there a way to test the relay is working or not? Its seems an easy enough job to do. I thought the fans staying on even at very low temp was a pretty good indicator that the relay was knackered but I aint no mechanic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Great forum this sooooo useful.
Thanks again
Robert.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Hi
Yes I agree it will be most likely the relay, to by pass you will see two thicker wires to the relay bridging these should put on the relay (please keep your hand clear of the fans).

Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks Merlin I will try that, I pretty much thought it was the relay.

I will go and order it now.

I was thinking actually, that there seems to be a lot of airboxes and hoses and wondered if they could be removed and replaced with something smaller and maybe something with better performance any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply.

Robert.