Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another damn issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Default Another damn issue!!! P0340?????

hi all i have another problem , been fine then wife went to pick kids up from school came back to the car turning over wouldnt fire
i then went to the car when i got home and it started first time got it home
the wife then went to the shops (car at norm temp) went in about 30mins came out same again turning not firing waited and kept trying for about 30mins
it then started into reverse and it cut again wouldnt start it then started and got it home
today she went took the kids to school all ok went to the local shop still ok ame home parked on the drive let it idle before switching off and it cut and then wouldnt start
done it to me tonite also went out gave it a bootfull got it hot switched off tried to start again and it started... left it for about 30mins came out wouldnt start took me a good 45mins to get going then drove for about a mile aproaching a roundabout and it cut after 10mins it started and got me home
it seems to me that when its hot and left it has issues ,coukld this be an MPROP issue or crank sensor-if it has one as i cant seem to find it??
i did the dash code thing and it came up with P0340 what does this mean ??

had enough of this car only had it for just over a year and havent really had any reprieve from working on the damn thing

any ideas much appreciated

dan

Last edited by voyager_dan; 01-05-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: title
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 AM

Are you in England? Not 100% sure this applies to Euro spec vans but here's info on the P0340: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

MPROP?? Model year? Engine?

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 AM

yeah does sound like camshaft sensor,also i haven noticed that the engine cover seems to generate more heat around the sensors when it is on,i was having issues with mines,i removed the top cover and no problems since,seems the cover alows to much heat to sensor when its iffy and stops doing it job

Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM

right i have changed the cam sensor took it for a long drive got home switched off for 20mins and then it wouldnt start for about 45mins
i unplugged the crank sensor and found oil residue in the plug which isnt right oil is coming up the wires so in the morning iam going to try another crank sensor
not sure where to go with it if that dont work
Raptor 07 iam in the U.K engine is 2.5 crd year 2002

Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM

You've been having a bit of a nightmare lately. Have you got that new cylinder head fitted yet?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM

brooke23-yeah have had a bit of a run of bad luck just recently i havent had the time to do the head yet i have a head and cam housing ready to go on its only done 23,000 so should be good
i put K-seal in it to get me into the new year and its been fine no water loss atall
got to order a crank sensor now went to see a friend who thought he may have had a crank sensor but was only 2 pin mine is 3, had to get the car recovered as it kept cutting out aa man plugged in and confirmed what i was thinking with the crank sensor
i unplugged the crank sensor to check it and there is oil in the plug so i guess the sensor has fractured and oil is getting up into the wiring to the plug so new sensor it is
again J.N.L engineering at camberley have come up trumps again Ł32.00 plus vat half the price of Chrysler and they can get one for wednesday chrysler reckon it could be a month as they are on back order......theres a surprise!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM

ordered sensor today but just my luck the sensor they had on friday has now gone and not sure how long i have to wait for a sensor to come from italy......i have just been talking to a nice chap from ebay who has sold me a used sensor which i will fit and hopefully use till the new ones turns up

Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM

update.....car now sorted second hand sensor turned up today..ran the car till it was hot (fitted new headlamp washer pump while i waited!!!!!) turned off for 20mins then tried to restart and it refused!!! jacked up got underneath took out old sensor ...put new sensor in and hey presto it started

problem solved!!!!! dodgy crank sensor
just the head to change now

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by voyager_dan
update.....car now sorted second hand sensor turned up today..ran the car till it was hot (fitted new headlamp washer pump while i waited!!!!!) turned off for 20mins then tried to restart and it refused!!! jacked up got underneath took out old sensor ...put new sensor in and hey presto it started

problem solved!!!!! dodgy crank sensor
just the head to change now
Well that just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. I asked what model year your van was for this reason. On third generation vans (96-00) it's common shop practice to change both the cam and crank sensors no matter what sensor code pops up. A cam sensor code can be generated by a failed crank sensor and visa verse as you just found out. I have read at several automotive guru sights that doesn't apply to 4th gen vans - your 2002. So much for the "experts". Glad to hear you're rolling again.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM

yeah they are full of surprises, yeah good to be back on the road again