Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

best place to get a/c compressor clutch?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Default best place to get a/c compressor clutch?

I'm pretty sure the compressor is still good on my 2003 T&C. It blows cold but squeals very loudly wen the compressor clutch is engaged.

I have found just the clutch available at a couple of places but the price is within about $20-$30 of an entire rebuilt compressor, which is ridiculous. The companies that are rebuilding a/c compressors have GOT to have than $20 in the compressor itself so there has got to be a source somewhere that has lower priced clutches.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by rastoma; 03-20-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM

I purchased a clutch for my previous car at a scrap yard and lasted several years and is still working as far as I know(sold the car just before winter)I had to buy the compressor too cause they wouldn't sell it seperate but it was worth it tho...check your local yard,its cheaper.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DrGadget
I purchased a clutch for my previous car at a scrap yard and lasted several years and is still working as far as I know(sold the car just before winter)I had to buy the compressor too cause they wouldn't sell it seperate but it was worth it tho...check your local yard,its cheaper.
Thanks for the tip, but I had already checked at my local junk yard. $150 for a used compressor, 30 day warranty. I just can't see paying that much for a used one. I didn't even have to ask why it cost so much because he said right after the price.... those clutches are crap and I sell these used ones as fast as I get them.

I found a company that rebuilds them, they were selling on Ebay and I called the guy up. He said he'd sell me a clutch from a core unit but heavily recommended against it. He offered me a rebuilt compressor with 1 yr warranty, new drier, o-ring kit and an 8oz bottle of oil for $200 + $14 s/h.

I got a set of a/c gauges from Northern Tool and have a friend that does residential hvac that I just found out has a set of connectors that came with his vacuum pump that will allow connection to a car (he's never worked on a car a/c unit before) but I have no doubt we can replace these components and recharge the system. The compressor hasn't failed so the expansion valve and condenser should be ok.