Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Default RE: Brake Problems

Ok, I went to our local Partco dealer and they dont do those pipes.. dam useless...

They suggested i ring the dealer and find out, so i did this and am still waiting for a reply from them.

Right so joking aside, I'm going to be going on a longer than normal journey tomorrow, about 300miles or so, should i drive it? and what will happen if somthing goes wrong, apart from crashing?

I will haveall myfamily in the car wife and 2 small babys, and also my wife's mum and dad, and i dont want the car messing around, we go tomorrow morning so i'm kinda worried about the saftey aspect !

Right, so the main thing is i took it in for a free brake check, was told needed new rear wheel cylinders, new rear cylinders installed, garage said problem remained, I said it's always been like that since i had it (as in the pedal goes a fair way down to the floor), but upon pressing the brake pedal after they had changed the cylinders i now noticed the pedal goes further to the floor than it did before, my dad says is normaly on drum brakes it has to be deadjusted then re-adjusted once the new onces are installed, but we could not find any place to adjust them, we checked the master cylinder (wiped it off) and then used the car for a while but found not trace of leakage, the fluid level goes up a little and down a little when depresing the brake pedal as it should do, so we adjusted the handbrake slighty to comensate for the slack but it's not enough, were on the very end of what can be adjusted without it locking the wheels up.

So any other places we can adujst the brakes ?

Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

its not a matter of adjing things its the ablity of applying the force nessary to make the calipers to clamp down on the rotors. The vac assist makes it easy to do this.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM

yes exactly, so what other suggestions do you have on this matter, i mean after all brakes are a fundamentaly essential part of a car, and like you say, if the correct pressure is not applied or is unable to be applied the brakes wont do there job correctly, with all this in mind, as a tempoary fix until i come back from the weekend, can i use somthing to tighten the vac pipe which gives me the ability to push harder without it hitting the floor, this should allow me to brake more quickly if needed to.

Please correct me if i'm wrong about this, your the expert.. what would you do?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

no temp fix no working around it no way of repair with out part replacment I would not go on this trip untill this is fixed. Its not the line that would be the prob it would be what the line is going to. If u think its the line just put a new one on. The system u ahve is a vac assist all it does it help u make all the nessary force required to push the master cly down and move the fluid to where it needs to go with out the vac assist u get hard petel and it goes to the floor. do not drive your van.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:45 AM

ahh sh#@, I got the message while we were on the ferry. right ok now I'm worried.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 AM

another note, weather this means anything or not, I pumped up the brake pedal while the ignition was in the ON position and then started the engine it remained harder than normal.

I drove it for 5-6 miles and it remained harder during the journey? why would this be, and what does it mean, i take it i still need to replace the Master cylinder ?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 PM

ok, so i have been talking with the wife and we have decided to take the car off the road until i can fix the master cylinder problem, (save up for one) our dealer quoted £303.03 for a new one, does anyone know of a cheaper supplier of parts for all things chrysler in the uk?

Also is there a Guide to replacing the Master Cylinder as i have not done anything like that before?