Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:37 AM

Very basically, as far as the law is concerned DRL's must be wired so-as to come on when the car is started and of a certain brightness to be considered DRL's. However they also must extinguish or dim (Night Style) when side or headlights are turned on. However, when retrofitted to older vehicles they can be wired to a switch but must be turned off at night when head or sidelight are on.

Mounting requirements are as follows: Must be above 250mm but below 1500mm, within 400mm of the outside edge of the car and no closer than 600mm of the inside edge of each DRL unit!

Currently, retrofitted DRL's still don't appear to be part of the MOT! As for the cops I don't think they'd have an issue as long as you're not driving around at night dazzling other road users.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Someone on the Mercedes forum has made his own set up where the lights are wired into the ignition ecu. Would this be easy to do on a GV

Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 AM

Darkcild101; If you want easy, wire the lights to the RH cigar lighter plug as in the mod. Finding where else to put it could well be a nightmare in time and risk. Following my posting, you will not "modify" any of the existing wiring, or drill holes in the bodywork, and you will have TWO fuses in circuit, so the mod. will be as safe as poss. from a short causing a fire. You will also retain the ability to "pull the plug" should you need to at any future date. Always err on the side of safety, make sure there can be no shorts from the +12volt supply to ground (the steel body, engine etc).
Quod erat desperandum...

Leedsman.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Darkcild101; If you want easy, wire the lights to the RH cigar lighter plug as in the mod. Finding where else to put it could well be a nightmare in time and risk. Following my posting, you will not "modify" any of the existing wiring, or drill holes in the bodywork, and you will have TWO fuses in circuit, so the mod. will be as safe as poss. from a short causing a fire. You will also retain the ability to "pull the plug" should you need to at any future date. Always err on the side of safety, make sure there can be no shorts from the +12volt supply to ground (the steel body, engine etc).
Quod erat desperandum...

Leedsman.

Thanks. I did ask and the guy expalined the reason why they are wired into ignition ecu is so they come on and off automatically. Thats important for me as i am very forgetful. Do they come on automatically under your setup?

Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 AM

Er...yes. The RH cigar plug is ign. switched, the LH is not. Hence, for example, you can plug a 13.8volt float charger into LH. so it is on all the time. I always get good cranking and a smart-start when cold even in winter.
As you only need a thin wire for the mod., it's easy to run it under body panel junctions. Ensure there is no possible chafing of this wire onto metal-work where there is movement, e.g. a door.

Leedsman.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Er...yes. The RH cigar plug is ign. switched, the LH is not. Hence, for example, you can plug a 13.8volt float charger into LH. so it is on all the time. I always get good cranking and a smart-start when cold even in winter.
As you only need a thin wire for the mod., it's easy to run it under body panel junctions. Ensure there is no possible chafing of this wire onto metal-work where there is movement, e.g. a door.

Leedsman.

Do i understand you correctly that i wire it into cigarette lighter in the car on right side of the radio?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:30 AM

As standard, the Voyager models leave the factory with the right hand cigarette lighter powered via the ignition and the left hand cigarette lighter powered via the battery, i.e. live all the time.

However, an option exists to also have the right hand cigarette lighter powered via the battery simply by pulling the fuse and replacing it in the next position in the fuse box. Refer to your drivers handbook for the details. (or search this forum)

Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 AM

Handy little tip to know, about the fuse position.

Leedsman.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM

Handy little tip to know, about the fuse position.

Leedsman.
I need to nip out to my GV to get the handbook so that I can confirm this, but it's pouring down at the moment. I'm sure I posted an extract from the manual on this forum a few months ago but I can't find it.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM

O.K., I just braved the rain and scanned a couple of pages from my drivers handbook.

Page 71 explains that ALL the outlets can be converted to provide power with the ignition off. It says the work can be done by your authorised dealer but it's just a matter of pulling fuse F6 and inserting it into the next position. (I think this is marked on the lid of the fuse box)

Attached Thumbnails Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.-powr-outlets.jpg   Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.-fuses.jpg