Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I convert the 2004 voyager 3.3 into the 2.8L diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Default Can I convert the 2004 voyager 3.3 into the 2.8L diesel???

If it can happen in the UK i am sure i can do this in USA. everything looks the same except here we have left hand side driving. Has this been done before?? I want to do my 2004 grand caravan 3.3 (USA) converted into the 2.8L. im sure i can start out with importing the engine and transmission. I am concerned about the TCU/ECU electrical connection. will the imports computer fit??

Old 12-10-2016, 01:03 PM

For a start all the engine harness is going to be different.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:55 PM

Hi, unfortunately the simple answer is no. The European engines do not conform to EPA diesel regulations and I believe its actually illegal to import them.

I've got some good friends in Virginia and they asked if I could build them an Old Jeep with a European Diesel engine sourced from a UK Jeep, but everything I've been reading says no!

The other problem is, you really would need access to a complete vehicle because you'd need the entire front wiring harness, the Body control Module, the ECM, Transmission Control Module, alarm/immobiliser system (its key codes to the BCM), radiator. and probably a bucket load of things I can't think of.

What we'd planed on doing was I'd search for a crashed Jeep over Christmas and the early part of next year then simply import the entire vehicle, but unfortunately, we can't!

Last edited by Vonhofinvule; 12-13-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 AM

Just a quick update, I was doing some research this morning and came across something you maybe interested in if you really want to go Diesel. Its the new crate Repower 2.8 from Cummins.

First and foremost its 50 state legal. Now its not out yet and is aimed more at the jeep market but I'd assume that there will be a host of adaptors and electronics available to do the conversion.

Another bonus is its a Cummins so will more than likely be a way more reliable and has a lot more power.

As for the costs? Well still waiting on that but its has to be a cheaper option than it would have been importing from Europe!

https://cumminsengines.com/repower

Old 12-15-2016, 10:55 PM

thank you for your reply. It is possible to be legal in the USA because of the 2.8L diesel was used in 2007 in the USA. it will not be easy but I can use the van on non hwy roads for now. I actually got pretty far in research. The ECU, engine bay loom, and tcu are taken care of. now the body control module is the thing I don't understand. The other part of my concern is the gas pedal. Its electric. Any information on the gas pedal wires, where it connects to and if the body control module has to be changed to be compatible with the ECU will be appreciated. the body control module is identical to the petrol version in USA.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 AM

Hi, to begin with the US version is different from the one sold in Europe and so you must be registered for ICI (Independent Commercial Importers). Even if it was identical you still have to be registered. Thats the law and there is no way around this. If you try to bring an engine in without this or without going through a registered ICI agent then the engine will be seized by customs and you could be facing a large fine.

If you wish to go ahead with the importation then the arrangements must be made with a verified company to have the engine modified to pre defined specs. This has to be done before you purchase the engine or try to import it. You then have to inform the EPA and obtain a letter of conformation. This wiull then allow you to import the engine and have the necessary work carried out.

After this you then have to have the engine checked and a certificate of conformity issues before you can install it in your vehicle.

There is no way around this.

Like I said, I was trying to do this with the Jeep version of the engine and its just way too involved and expensive.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by reyada476
If it can happen in the UK i am sure i can do this in USA. everything looks the same except here we have left hand side driving. Has this been done before?? I want to do my 2004 grand caravan 3.3 (USA) converted into the 2.8L. im sure i can start out with importing the engine and transmission. I am concerned about the TCU/ECU electrical connection. will the imports computer fit??
First I would say it's impossible , It just take to long time to do.

Buy a whole car and built all parts over , I'm pretty sure the BCM will not accept a ECU from Europe .

The Front brakes is also diffrent on the 2.8CRD !