Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Coolant Leak Rear Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Default Heater Tubes

I think what people are complaining about (and what a few of you are missing) is that these should not be considered NORMAL wear parts. This tube failure is just one of the myriad of reasons that people run from Chrysler products and embrace Toyota and Honda. Good engineering would be to design a product to last for a specific number of cycles (miles) under REAL world conditions. They (Chrysler) obviously under designed this part. Not everyone who drives a minivan (soccer Moms) would know the damage that a coolant leak could do. When I spend my money, I want quality; not replacing my water pump (twice), repairing broken door wires, sway bar links, tie rod ends: all with less than 52K on my 05 T & C. And don't get me started on GM quality, they're just as guilty. At least with their new products, GM is starting to get it.

My advice, don't buy Chrysler unless you are mechanically inclined, no matter how cheap...

Bill

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 PM

give me a break, a water tube fails. BFD, so you never had a heater hose or raditor hose ever fail? never had a radiator spring a leak? never had an oil leak? never had an A/C freon leak. Even honda's and toyota's have this problem. Heck even Rolls Royce has these problems arise.

as for reliablity... I have several chyrsler products that have NEVER needed any parts replaced EVER except tires, air filter, oil filter that's it.. I have a 1990 minivan with 320,000 miles and it still has the original brake pads. It was my father's before he passed 2 years ago. In the late 50's-60's and early 70's he had a 1959 rambler that achieved 230,000 miles and never had anything replaced just like the van. His driving style was condusive to longevity of vehicles. Last year I rebuild a transmission for a customer on his 2002 grand carvan at 290,000 miles. He owns a delivery service. That was the first repair he needed. as of now it has 370,000 when I serviced the trans fluid.

You're right about only the mechanically inclinded should own a chrysler. that's totally obvious with all the oblivous people that own them... like you since you own one. it would be best for you to sell your van, buy a toyota and leave!! I actually make more money servicing toyota's because the owners are willing to follow all maintenance schedules like replacing timing belt. the fiscally deficient chrysler owners (vast majority) rarely do this level of preventative maintenance which leads to all the posts on "how to fix my car".

Last edited by 22chrysler; 12-05-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM

Tx again tech guy. I stick by my 10 cent comment on rust proofing. Very likely rust is main contributing factor to the tube failures at the bracket. Engine and vehicle vibration not far behind. A simple bracket with rubber grommet provisions for each tube would extend the life of the tubes. What I have not added to the subject matter at this point is why in the %*@^# Chrysler even has a rear heater core on these vehicles in the first place. I didn't even know my vehicle had this feature. The front heater core kicks out sufficient heat for the entire compartment...that is when you don't have it in full defrost mode (all air flow against frozen glass). When I was experiencing coolant loss I spent multiple times inspecting the hoses in the engine compartment above & below. The tube failure was likely several months beyond the first leaks before I spotted the wet tube bracket three feet away from the engine compartment...and discovered the vehicle had a $*&^@# rear heater core.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Default Heater Tubes

I stand by my post.

Primary reason that I bought Chrysler was because my BIL worked for them so I received a good discount. He's laid off for good now (Newark plant closed) so that will be it for me.

As a reasonable consumer, I expect any OEM to stand behind their product and not shirk their responsibility.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Michael
Tx again tech guy. I stick by my 10 cent comment on rust proofing. Very likely rust is main contributing factor to the tube failures at the bracket. Engine and vehicle vibration not far behind. A simple bracket with rubber grommet provisions for each tube would extend the life of the tubes. What I have not added to the subject matter at this point is why in the %*@^# Chrysler even has a rear heater core on these vehicles in the first place. I didn't even know my vehicle had this feature. The front heater core kicks out sufficient heat for the entire compartment...that is when you don't have it in full defrost mode (all air flow against frozen glass). When I was experiencing coolant loss I spent multiple times inspecting the hoses in the engine compartment above & below. The tube failure was likely several months beyond the first leaks before I spotted the wet tube bracket three feet away from the engine compartment...and discovered the vehicle had a $*&^@# rear heater core.
And if EVERY car manufacturer used steel braided brake hoses and all other hoses, then they would never fail... and if every car manufacturer used stainless steel body/frame structure then there would never be any body or structure rust failure... and if every manufacturer used .... blah, blah blah.

You provided a perfect example of my signature
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Last edited by 22chrysler; 12-06-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 PM

I too have a 2003 T&C which has the rear heater core supply lines fail. I came here via google search on the problem to see if there was a recall notice concerning it. There isn't, nor am I covered under warranty anymore. I've got to get it fixed and suck up the 500.00 I'm going to pay (190.00 for just the part alone.) But, I felt compelled to join this forum to respond to 22chrysler. I agree that things fail, break, rust etc. It's life. For the most part my Chrysler/Dodge vehicles have performed very well for me. Of course, there's things which need fixing. As mentioned, it's the way things go. Rarely does anything last which is not maintained. 22chrysler - your points could have been made with out your snotty, condescending and arrogant comments. You come off as a *****. The things people have said do not warrant your verbal attacks. If you find "the oblivious people that own them" such a burden, how about you don't comment to them? There surely are millions of "oblivious people". Good thing too, because otherwise companies which put out crap (I'm not singling out Chrysler) and then do not stand by their products wouldn't exist, and uber mechanically competent people like yourself would have to find another line of work. I bet you make a lot of money off those people.
I'm sure you'll (if you're even still here) fire off a scathing retort to my words. You're built like that. Please enjoy your anger and sarcasm. It's good for your health!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Just to let you know you guys seem to be a little childish. You think that if you buy a vehicle, then you should never have to do anything to it that will cost money. I have been a mechanic all my life and believe me when I say that they all have problems. I know some of the problems cost money but think of what the vehicle does for you all year long. I am happy to own a 05 chrysler t&c limited. I have had to put tires on it at 70000 and a battery in it at 65000 miles. Just fix your vehicles and stop thinking that anything that goes wrong their should be a tsb or recall. Man, quit whining!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 PM

22chrysler I like your posts. I too have been a mechanic for ever and know what you are talking about on the toyota's and the preventive mantenance. They do it like clockwork and the chrysler guys won't even change their trans filter until the trans does somthing wierd, like start slipping or shifting funny. Good to know you 22 chrysler. Keep up the good work!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 AM

I've got a 97 T&C, same problem. I crawled under with my dremel tool and cut off the bad section of the line and also up top behind the intake. However, now that my 5/8" heater hose "fix" has now blown off 3 times, my wife said she's not driving it until its fixed. I bought the replacement assembly. I've read that the intake manifold must be removed in order to replace this. Looking at my Chilton manual, what all needs to come apart? If I don't have to separate the throttle body from the intake and everything else, I don't want to do that. I just need to get at those lines. Any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Kudos to Chrysler Corp. Why? Because with the aid of threads such as this one, I was able to convince them that the coolant lines were made of material which was easily corroded, and did corrode on enough vehicles that Chrysler changed the material to aluminum in newer models. The result was they reimbursed me for the cost of the part. I was in no way "whining" to them. I was respectful in my request - If they knew the part was faulty, or not durable enough to keep in production, then they have an obligation to replace it at their cost, and not their customers cost. This, to me is one reason I've enjoyed Chrysler vehicles since my second car as a teenager. It was a 1973 Challenger RT. Kudos to Chrysler for helping me out with the repair cost.
This is also support to our whining mr. pabe. The point of all of this is if a manufacturer builds something with parts proven to be a problem, then they should stand behind the decision to replace them with better parts, and then allow the other people the opportunity to have them either at a greatly reduced cost, or even free. I didn't ask Chrysler for the cost of labor. Only the part replacement cost. This aluminum version of the steel coolant lines is $190.00. Add $234.00 for labor and taxes. The items you list are all normal wear. This obviously is not considered "normal" or Chrysler would not have changed the material they are made from. In regards to this particular topic then, I think we're not all whiners. People who do not do preventative maintenance surely deserve the evil eye from mechanics in general, but be careful to over generalize all of us "Chrysler guys" as loathsome fools. We're not.
I'd like to respectfully submit that if you're a mechanic and you're on this board, and some one like Simon BarSinister asks a question, then just answer it... or leave it alone. 22chrysler went overboard with his berating of people across this board, who may only be lowly backyard mechanics, and who are trying to save a few hundred dollars by doing work themselves. We'll thank you for it. Or, if you don't want to simply answer the question respectfully, then lower your labor costs to something reasonable... and fix it for them.
Because of Chrysler's handling of my request, they have cemented my relationship with their company!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Rear Heater