Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Coolant Leak Rear Heater

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Mr. Djin-n-tonic,

Your "signature" has a line that reads like this; "Ma'am, It costs so much money, because ...I CAN, And you CANNOT, And It matters Not to Me, Because I HAVE A RIDE HOME." So, by your own words you don't care about the people who keep you in business paying for massively overpriced parts from a dealship? And you have the audacity to call us whiners because we feel screwed paying 200.00 for two bent up metal tubes made of thin aluminum (if, of course the dealership actually installed the aluminum version and not another steel one)? If a vehicle uses poorly designed, frequently failing parts then changes the materials these parts are made of because they realize it's a design flaw, then they should indeed reimburse the people who bought the vehicle and needed to have the bad part replaced.

Your advice about Dorman parts is very helpful. Dealer parts are a marked up revenue stream. I can get a Dorman clockspring for 40.00, but the GM part which functions identically costs 150.00?

Lastly, I was one of the "whiners" who presented this corroding steel tube issue to Chrysler. They paid me for the part. If Chrysler is going to pay for a part then they're indicating they know this is a problem. If Chrysler had never changed the material they made it from, then it would just be another case of bad design and an "oh well" to the people who own these vehicles. They didn't though. They realized steel was the wrong choice and changed it to aluminum. Since it's not a "safety" related issue, they were under no obligation to hand out a recall. Yet, Chrysler did the right thing and reimbursed the part costs. That little gesture spoke loudly to me about Chrysler's willingness to accept responsibility for poor design and material choices. They never called me a "whiner" because I felt Chrysler should do the right thing. It's too bad that I had to dig so deeply to find evidence to present them with regarding this part. But, they did the right thing. I take offense to your opinions of the people who rely on you to repair their vehicles, and then get slapped with a bill which is artificially high due to the costs of highly marked up parts.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Default Whining?

Call it what you like, but when the steel rotted through on I-95 and I paid for a flatbed tow, a hotel room and over $650 to Chrysler who called it normal wear and tear and refused to cover it under my Chrysler Gold Warranty. But you are right that they are aware of the design defect. Less than two years later I was informed by a dealer in another state that these same lines were starting to leak and suggested that they replace them. They had the vehicle in for its third transmission repair/replace in two year, which WAS covered.
He was unaware that I had replaced it once already and backed off when I asked if I should be charged a second time for the same defect. I politely - yes, politely - went through Chrysler's online customer service email system, and after about ten to twelve days and three levels later I was informed that the dealer hadn't noted this on his repair order and they couldn't do anything until one of "their experts" did an assessment. Customer service contacted the service writer directly and then got back to me stating that he had no knowledge of the problem and that we never talked about it.

I was out of luck because I had hoped to resolve the issue before taking a 350 mile trip that could not be delayed. Like I said, I had brought the car into the dealer because of a faulty transmission, and it was them that tried to sell me the coolant lines "before they let go." My wife generally drives the thing, but neither of us could recall having to add any coolant. I picked up a gallon of antifreeze and headed north making the trip without a snag. Before I returned home two weeks later I was able to find a dealer in Maine that was open for minor services on Saturdays and he agreed to take a look at it and call customer service on my behalf. I bought the car in, gave him the case number, etc. and went into the waiting area. A few minutes later he brought me out to the shop and gave me a complete tour of the underside of my T&C, pointing out that it was bone dry with no signs of any corrosion of the lines (now the aluminum version) and no leaks at all.

Sure I was happy to hear that, and I am only sorry I didn't live in the area so that I could have my vehicles serviced at this dealership. I now knew why the first dealer didn't put in on the repair order and "didn't recall" mentioning the suggested repair; there was nothing wrong with it and I wasted almost four weeks trying to get coverage for something that needed nothing - other than to make a few bucks for the lying dealer looking to pad the warranty work on the transmission.

You can call it what you want. The car is still going strong. I just spoke to the guy I sold it to. I gave him all of my service records, the tale of the lines, and a price he couldn't refuse, and we bought a new van - NOT a Chrysler product.

Originally Posted by cplyem
Mr. Djin-n-tonic,

Your "signature" has a line that reads like this; "Ma'am, It costs so much money, because ...I CAN, And you CANNOT, And It matters Not to Me, Because I HAVE A RIDE HOME." So, by your own words you don't care about the people who keep you in business paying for massively overpriced parts from a dealship? And you have the audacity to call us whiners because we feel screwed paying 200.00 for two bent up metal tubes made of thin aluminum (if, of course the dealership actually installed the aluminum version and not another steel one)? If a vehicle uses poorly designed, frequently failing parts then changes the materials these parts are made of because they realize it's a design flaw, then they should indeed reimburse the people who bought the vehicle and needed to have the bad part replaced.

Your advice about Dorman parts is very helpful. Dealer parts are a marked up revenue stream. I can get a Dorman clockspring for 40.00, but the GM part which functions identically costs 150.00?

Lastly, I was one of the "whiners" who presented this corroding steel tube issue to Chrysler. They paid me for the part. If Chrysler is going to pay for a part then they're indicating they know this is a problem. If Chrysler had never changed the material they made it from, then it would just be another case of bad design and an "oh well" to the people who own these vehicles. They didn't though. They realized steel was the wrong choice and changed it to aluminum. Since it's not a "safety" related issue, they were under no obligation to hand out a recall. Yet, Chrysler did the right thing and reimbursed the part costs. That little gesture spoke loudly to me about Chrysler's willingness to accept responsibility for poor design and material choices. They never called me a "whiner" because I felt Chrysler should do the right thing. It's too bad that I had to dig so deeply to find evidence to present them with regarding this part. But, they did the right thing. I take offense to your opinions of the people who rely on you to repair their vehicles, and then get slapped with a bill which is artificially high due to the costs of highly marked up parts.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM

So, by your own words you don't care about the people who keep you in business paying for massively overpriced parts from a dealship? And you have the audacity to call us whiners because we feel screwed paying 200.00 for two bent up metal tubes made of thin aluminum (if, of course the dealership actually installed the aluminum version and not another steel one)? If a vehicle uses poorly designed,
Truthfully .....NO...I dont.

Simply put...I have a 2000 Dodge caravan with Rear A/C and Rear Heat....It has 310,000 miles on it, and I have owned it since new. Now I may be in the biz, and all of my work I do myself, But all I have replaced on it, outside of required maintenance, is a belt tensioner, and a water pump......So as you can see, I would Go broke if I were to charge myself to fix the car. even if I used "Marked up Dealer Parts."...

I HAVE NEVER HAD A COOLANT LEAK from these so called "POORLY DESIGNED" hoses and Lines, And My A/C works Fine....come to think of it...Hmmmm??? .Ive never had to fix That Either.

As for AUDACITY....Yes I care about the people who are willing to support me and my family....I Dont make any money from listening to you people BIT*H about who is going to pick up the tab to repair your 10 year old vehicle...

The guy that I answered , simply asked for an interchange of years, or a part #.....didnt ask how much, didnt cry that it wasnt under warranty, He asked a question...which I was glad to answer to the best of my ability at that moment.....

I work For a Chrysler dealership......I dont work directly for Chrysler, Nor do I have anything to say when it comes to what they will or will not reimburse a customer for....It doesnt make a difference to me if they give you back cash or not.

Now, as for poor design....Not at all. You will find the Aftermarket ones will rot away just as quickly. WHY....You ask???

Its very simple....They were not designed to withstand extended exposure to accumulations of dirt and road salt...

Why have I not replaced the lines on my personal vehicle???? SIMPLE...Because My wife is a car wash freak, and the undercarraige wash is only an additional 50 cents.

Now ...2 things before I bid this thread A-Do

1) Chrysler has NO CONTROL over where you drive your car....Or whether or not it parks in a garage, or whether or not you clean your under carraige..... Any metal exposed to these conditions will rot away in time, ...Sorry about the laws of physics people.. But how can you hold a MFR responsible for "RUST" on a 10 year old car?????

and #2......The front page of this site says ..."THE CHRYSLER ENTHUSIASTS FORUM"......If all you are going to do is BAD MOUTH the product....Then WHY are You here???...You arent an Enthusiast, But rather a WHINER., looking for your free ride.....Thats my story ...and Im sticking to it..

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 04-20-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Lastly, I was one of the "whiners" who presented this corroding steel tube issue to Chrysler. They paid me for the part. If Chrysler is going to pay for a part then they're indicating they know this is a problem.
I take offense to your opinions of the people who rely on you to repair their vehicles, and then get slapped with a bill which is artificially high due to the costs of highly marked up parts.
Just because I didnt notice earlier...I will offer my response Now....

Did you consider instead that they were tired of hearing you whine and wanted to shut you up????It happens all the time....

As for relying on me to fix the car.....Like I said, I dont make any money listening to you bit*h about spending money...This is YOUR CAR...not mine...and I didnt Break it....

You all have a pre concieved notion of dealerships, and being robbed, which wont change until you get something for nothing.....I have a preconcieved notion about customers ,who always want something for nothing, which has been known to change as soon as you are willing to PAY for the knowledge and professionalism that is expected of me.I dont make parts, I dont sell parts, and I only install what is available to me.I dont set labor rates, or handle money, I'm a technician, I fix cars and If you expect me to Fix your car , and Kiss your **** and not get paid for either, you are in for a surprise. I do this to feed my family, Not to keep you happy......Hence the signature.... You either want it fixed or you dont...Your daughter just got married, your son just got braces, your husband lost his job, and it is all understandable, it happens, The economy is horrible, and Nobody has money laying around, just waiting to be spent....But, the truth is... .... YOUR CAR DOESNT CARE, and I have no control over it...And I certainly wont feed my kids PB+J for dinner, because YOUR CAR IS BROKEN, And I take offense to the fact that I should be EXPECTED to.
If you want to bit*h about the Cost, That is beyond what I do, And I kinda like it that way....

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 04-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Has any of the people reading this and just about any other section of this forum figure out what the avg cost is to keep up a van?? the older the van/car/truck the more stuff brakes and well the more u pay. Shoot I have a 98 Concorde with 212,000 mile on it I expect something to go wrong with it at least once a month its an old car. Its still cheaper to fix it then buy a new one the cost basis ratio is about the same in most cases. U spend say 400 for the car a month 4800 a year the other factors gas and oil changes and stuff like that will be the same through out the life of the car.

3 years later need tires,brakes,30k service and bla bla so that's roughly 2000 more so still paying 4800 and now 2000 .... 6800 a year now go down the road past 5 years car is paid for 8 years old still have oil change and reg stuff now have a trans go out or cooling line leak like a mug or what ever say all of that in one year avg 4000 for repair work U are still cheaper then when U got it new and under warranty . U just got use to the fact of not having to pay for things while under warranty and paying more while doing it. now instead of a month bill its all at once and most people dont like it. Take half of what U have been spending on a car note and put it away in a savings account it wont hurt so much when U have a big repair bill.

Why Does My Car Repair Cost So Much?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM

You're funny Djinn...

"Now, as for poor design....Not at all. You will find the Aftermarket ones will rot away just as quickly. WHY....You ask???
Its very simple....They were not designed to withstand extended exposure to accumulations of dirt and road salt... "

So, these parts are under the vehicle, running down the firewall, behind the left front wheel area (road spray?) where they are exposed to all manner of whatever weather us whiners are driving it in. They have no damage protection from the elements (no shields or coverings) whatsoever, and are made out of a material which is known to corrode when exposed to salt and water. By your very own words, you've supported my whining about these parts. I'll re-quote for you for clarity; "They were not designed to withstand extended exposure to accumulations of dirt and road salt... "
This means they're poorly designed! They're completely exposed to ALL manner of whatever they meet in their life times. Additionally, Chrysler CHANGED THE MATERIAL THEY ARE MADE OF (I'm using caps to scream at you too!). Hmmm... could this be beacuse they realized they had an inordinate amount of failures, and did something to change this design? You don't make any sense. I found this "enthusiasts" forum by accident, while I was whining my way across the Internet looking for someone else to pay for my part failures. Heck, if I had realized that it was ONLY for ENTHUSIASTS, I wouldn't have posted anything at all! BUT, if you actually go back and READ MY COMMENTS, I am very ENTHUSIASTICALLY giving Chrysler HUGE PROPS for being a company who stood by their product. But I guess I was WRONG, because evidentally, due to your insighful INSIDE KNOWLEDGE, they only did it to SHUT ME UP!!!!!!! Guess what DJIN N TONIC? My WHINING personality WON! CHRYSLER PAID FOR THE PART AND SOME OF THE LABOR TOO!!!!!!!
One more thing before I too bid ADIEU (not "a-do" - "adieu" is a word from the French language for farewell).... I fully realize that vehicles not maintained will fail, All mechanical things not maintained well WILL FAIL. BUT, you're not looking at the actual reason we're all whining here. There has been enough of the very same failures with the SAME PARTS that Chrysler CHANGED THE MATERIAL they used to aluminum - which means they KNEW it was a problem. Instead, you've chosen to be antagonistic to the people who you make money off of by calling us names (how very adult of you). Oh, wait... you get paid no matter what, right Djinn? You hate us WHINERS because we come back into your work area for years on end and BIT*HED at you so very much. Unlikely. More likely you're just a crumudgeon, who's got a "**** on Ford" graphic on the back window of his pick up truck, and is stuck being a mechanic. Oh, sorry... I meant TECHNICIAN. Allow Chrysler management to make the real decisions about how to handle it's WHINING customers and keep your ascerbic comments to yourself, while you hate us from the safety of your work area. Besides, it'll be cheaper in the long run, because you're spending your time (for free) calling us out for our awful behavior.

Mr. Chrysler Tech; You're right. It's expensive to own and operate any vehicle. Your advice to bank some repair money is sound and helpful. I too have older cars and trucks. I had a 98 Durango which I finally decided was getting too expensive to repair at 218,000. Awesome truck. It still ran solidly, even with a burnt valve. You can't kill the 318 very easily (one which is maintained that is!) I for one thank you for good advice, delivered in a professional and thought provoking manner.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM

You're funny Djinn...
Gee, must be part of my TECHNICIAN training, Because I wasnt trying to be funny....I cant see anything funny about not being able to make a living because people like you insist on bucking for a free ride.

So, these parts are under the vehicle, running down the firewall, behind the left front wheel area (road spray?) where they are exposed to all manner of whatever weather us whiners are driving it in. They have no damage protection from the elements (no shields or coverings) whatsoever, and are made out of a material which is known to corrode when exposed to salt and water. By your very own words, you've supported my whining about these parts. I'll re-quote for you for clarity; "They were not designed to withstand extended exposure to accumulations of dirt and road salt... "
Well, if you knew where they are and how it works, you would understand. They run down the firewall, under the RIGHT side of the car, and they dont come in contact with road spray due to a WHEEL...That is what "INNER FENDERS" are for. The corrossion happens in the center of the truck, where if you remember High school Chemistry, The larger the surface area, the larger the chemical reactivity.

Additionally, Chrysler CHANGED THE MATERIAL THEY ARE MADE OF (I'm using caps to scream at you too!). Hmmm... could this be beacuse they realized they had an inordinate amount of failures, and did something to change this design? You don't make any sense.
And who told you that???...The replacements are in every way Identical to the old ones.....With the exception of the Rot- holes.
Guess what DJIN N TONIC? My WHINING personality WON! CHRYSLER PAID FOR THE PART AND SOME OF THE LABOR TOO!!!!!!!
And arent you just so proud of yourself????... Not only did you "Beat" some guy on an internet forum, but you got your car fixed for free.

Instead, you've chosen to be antagonistic to the people who you make money off of by calling us names (how very adult of you). Oh, wait... you get paid no matter what, right Djinn? You hate us WHINERS because we come back into your work area for years on end and BIT*HED at you so very much. Unlikely.
Antagonistic???? No ...At least I didnt think so, Because after all...that is what a Public Forum is designed for, ..To voice an opinion.
As I mentioned, I dont make any money by listening to people who Cant or wont pay for my ability in my Craft. Years of training, Enough money spent in tools to own my house twice over, But Facing a foreclosure if I dont sell them off...
As for getting paid No matter what--Nope.Misinformed again.- Let me explain something....Because unless you are in the Biz, you cant , or wont understand how this works.
No..I dont get paid No Matter What.... Warranty, Contract, recall , and "Covered" repairs, on the average , only pay 40% of book time. If a Cash Paying customer came in, With A minvan as yours, Those coolant lines would pay me 1.2 hours to install. (That is 72 minutes). The covered repair pays me 1/2 hour, which includes refilling the coolant and recharging the Air conditioning. So....Think for a moment...How NOBLE of Chrysler to cover your "Problem" at MY expense. As I asked before, Arent you proud of yourself...And By the way, My children would like to thank you for the "Noodle Soup" you so thoughtfully provided for their supper.As for me.....I dont know you on a personal level, Nor do I have any desire to do so, You are happy because you didnt have to pay for it, Chrysler is happy because they dont have to hear you anymore, and MAYBE in some remote galaxy in another lifetime, you will buy another Chrysler Product. My Manager is Happy because Chrysler isnt breathing down his Neck anymore, And here I am,Expected to be Overjoyed, while I just lost 60% of my Money???? Are You for real??? Wake up....Someone has to pay for it somewhere along the line, They built the car, you own the car, The dealership fixes the car ...And The Tech Pays for the Car???? Sorry ..I dont think so.
More likely you're just a crumudgeon, who's got a "**** on Ford" graphic on the back window of his pick up truck, and is stuck being a mechanic. Oh, sorry... I meant TECHNICIAN.
Apparently...You werent paying attention. Youre not even close. I dont have an Ill temper, because I have chosen to spend my free time here, helping out people with Technical issues with their vehicles. Feel free to browse my personal profile , and Please notice that I have NEVER ASKED a question, but rather over 500 posts of contribution to others problems. As for being a Mechanic , or technician, or Average Grease Monkey,I dont consider myself being stuck, on the contrary, My time spent in the shop is done because I genuinely love what I do. I have turned down Managing Positions numerous times, for the simple fact that CARS DONT TALK BACK. There will always be the technical nightmare with a car, the one that has everyone in the building scratching their heads. And that I dont mind....Because eventually it will get fixed. What bothers me is the customer who takes my ability for granted. This is my Living,It is not a hobby,or an Automotive "Soup -Kitchen" ,and as such, I need to make a living , Which sorry to say, Is Higher on My priority list than the MONEY in YOUR wallet.

#2, I drive a 2000 Dodge Caravan, ...Not a pick-up truck, And Nope...Sorry, No **** on Ford decals, ..Because the Ford in the driveway would feel Smited.

Oh by the way..Since I am on the Topic... It is a 1970 Lincoln Continental, with 41.000 original miles, Covered and in the garage since 1980. There is a rust spot on the front bumper....Now I ask you...

Covered and Not driven , how does a 41,000 mile car Rust a Bumper??? Maybe I should Call Ford and complain about Poorly designed Bumpers???? And Then I will hold My breath until the new one Arrives, And duck from the flying wrenches when the Tech at Ford finds out he is only getting paid 12 minutes to hang a Bumper on a Car that is older than His MOM.

Just think for a momet.......Jabbar the caveman builds HUTS. He went to Hut building school , he has all the essential tools and Knowledge to build a hut. He charges 2 bearskins to build you a hut.....

YOU EITHER GIVE HIM THE TWO SKINS.....OR YOU SLEEP OUTSIDE IN THE COLD.

And lastly...
(not "a-do" - "adieu" is a word from the French language for farewell)
Ya got me....But..this is the USA, and People like you are the reason our economy is so.... How would you say ?? S-C R-IEU-D UP.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 04-24-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Default air conditioner not working, recall?

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
the off the wall question is that is what the recallis to replace the rubber part of the tubbing with new tubes and clamps and in some cases u get a new whole line assembly with ac lines included. Your dealer should know this they run what thay call a funcion 14 and get any recall info on your van. Give me the last 7 of your vin number and i can look at that info myself and see if it had been done or what ever. I will upload a copy of what i see to ya. If u had to pay for a recall then something is wrong. I NEED VIN NUMBRE FOR NE ONE WANTING TO SEE IF THEY ARE COVERED.
Kevin
I have a 2007 Town and Country and the air conditioner doesn't work. the last 7 digits of my vin are R184313. Is this a recall issue?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

On a Chrysler 2002 town country my rear heater lines are rusted and leaking. What do i have to take off the engine to get these out and replace them?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Smile Rear Leak

I have a 2001 Town and Country I just purchased. I filled the radiator and reservoir with anti-freeze. I started to realize that at the rear or the rear tire i been having a constant drip when is park of antifreeze which causes a puddle of anti-freeze after a while and then it stops leaking. I ended up getting under the mini van and checking my self where does the leak come from and i seems like its leaking from a some what rubber tube that faces down from the quarter panel .

I'm curious to know is there a retainer or reservoir at the rear heater system that if is over filled it spills it out like the one in the front? Does that make any sense. I'm new to Chrysler vehicles.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Rear Heater