Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Crazy Electrical Issues: UPDATE! Problem solved.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Default Crazy Electrical Issues: UPDATE! Problem solved.

Quick recap of the problem:
2014 T&C with 23,600 miles was displaying strange electrical issues. Wipers turning themselves on, dash lights and gauges flickering and going crazy.

Took it to the dealer and two weeks later the problem is resolved. On their dime, too!

At first the radio was blamed. They changed that out and it made a change in the symptoms but didn't completely resolve the issue.

After much trial and error, they discovered a nick in the insulation of a wire to one side of the tailgate. They replaced or repaired the wire and the problem has been resolved!

Lots of other talk about codes and faulty plugs, but these were only guesses. Apparently the problem was found almost by accident among the miles of wiring in these things.

The car is in amazing shape. Apparently the lady that owned it got frustrated with the schizoid behavior and traded it. We got it for $13,500 including taxes, etc, so we're happy the weirdness is resolved. Hopefully this is the last of it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and encouragement!

Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM

hi CinSC, I'm glad you solved the problem. You tell me the point where they found the broken cable, so I try to look maybe it's a problem on the opening of the door that with time cables break thanks

Old 06-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maurizio
hi CinSC, I'm glad you solved the problem. You tell me the point where they found the broken cable, so I try to look maybe it's a problem on the opening of the door that with time cables break thanks
I can't say exactly where the fault was because I wasn't there, but what they did tell me was that they closed the tailgate hard and it displayed the symptoms, so they knew they were close to the problem.

Basically, they used the process of elimination until they found the fault. Lots of unplugging stuff and plugging it back in and so forth. VERY time consuming, but possible.

Wish I could help more.
C