Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GV Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Default GV Handbrake

After reading many posts regarding the GV handbrake, can anyone tell me why they are so crap. I don't think I know one GV owner with a decent handbrake yet. Was just curious.

Nick

Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Despite the car having a few other issues my handbrake is actually pretty solid. Holds no problem on a steep hill with the car loaded and all seats filled.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Mine is good too, I needed to have shoes replaced though as they were shot lol. It holds well but just doesent seem as good as other cars I have owned in the past, i.e Ford Mondeo. What other issues you havin royal?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM

I need to sort a cutting out issue which I believe is air getting into the fuel. Found a place that provides replacement refurbished injectors with a 12 month warranty pretty cheap so going to replace all four as at least 2 are leaking off too much. The car has done over 200,000 miles with no sign of ever having the injectors looked at. Have both front lower control arms to replace as the bushes are shot and also the sway bar bushes as they are past it also. Then will do the tracking as it pulls ever so slightly to the left but I think this is due to the worn bushes. In the new year I am also going to change the auto box filter and fluid. So plenty for me to be cracking on with over the xmas period. No rest for the wicked, or should I say Grand Voyager owner.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Certainly on mine, which is the older type with a separate drum-brake system, not using the existing pads as with later models, the system size seems too small for this GV vehicle of 2.2 tons british. Many moons ago I had a Mercedes 300D with exactly the same idea which had no trouble holding on hills.
I have mine working reasonably now. but I'm never going to do handbrake turns with it...

Leedsman.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by royal100805
I need to sort a cutting out issue which I believe is air getting into the fuel. Found a place that provides replacement refurbished injectors with a 12 month warranty pretty cheap so going to replace all four as at least 2 are leaking off too much. The car has done over 200,000 miles with no sign of ever having the injectors looked at. Have both front lower control arms to replace as the bushes are shot and also the sway bar bushes as they are past it also. Then will do the tracking as it pulls ever so slightly to the left but I think this is due to the worn bushes. In the new year I am also going to change the auto box filter and fluid. So plenty for me to be cracking on with over the xmas period. No rest for the wicked, or should I say Grand Voyager owner.
Regarding the cutting out issue apparently the fuel filter housing can be the culprit for air getting into the fuel. Chrysler say that its a common problem on these vehicles and can be rectified by replacing the housing. What is injector leak off and what are the symptoms.... just out of interest

Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

also if you go to www.alignmycar.co.uk they do it properly on a Hunter machine. Laser alignment does not get it to factory spec. Hunter is a bit more money but does the job properly. Save on tyres also with a proper Hunter alignment

Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Yes i have read about the filter housing. Im going to check all pipes from the tank to the IP first and if all ok will order the filter housing through chrysler. A faulty injector can give very similar symptoms to air in fuel. Hard to start, or a puff of smoke on start up, rough idle, lumpy running and stalling in extreme cases as it can lowers the rail pressure and poor fuel economy> probably more but thats all the symptoms i can think of for now.

cheers for that website i will take a look.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:01 PM

The handbrake on these cars needs abit tuning so to speak. Strip, clean, replace, refit and adjust and as been seen on here we all get different handbrake strengths.
Problems are the different lengths in cables to wheels and this auto adjust handbrake lever.
All's been mentioned on here but if you've got a good handbrake something is wrong in your adjustments...That makes it work so to speak.