Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I replace the starter on a 00 Voyager?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Default How do I replace the starter on a 00 Voyager?

Hey guys!

New here. Can someone guide me as to how to replace the starter of a 00 voyager?

I have tried searching the net for a write up, but can't seem to find a good one. For beginners, most of the write ups don't even mention where it's located.

Thanks!!

Oz

Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a Hayes manual for your vehicle, that will help with many tasks.
Remove the negative cable from the battery before you remove the starter.
A rule of thumb is that the starter is always on the same side as the battery, and there is a thick cable running from the battery + side to the starter. Follow that cable and you will find the starter at the other end. Disconnect the cables - there should the be + cable and one other, and then 2 or 3 bolts and it will slide right out. Take care not to loose the spacer if there is one (that depends on your model). Install is just the reverse sequence.

Last edited by ettienne; 12-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM

I checked out the hayes manual, and it didn't really help much with the starter. It doesn't mention where it's located or what kind of tools I'll need, which is really bad, IMHO.

I disconnected the battery to see if I could locate it without jacking up the car, however the red cable from the batter is bound together by a larger black tube that has other wires within and it's really difficult to trace it (red cable) to the starter.

However, I have gone ahead and bought the jack. Its raining right now so I'm going to wait till it clears out before trying to get under and checking. Just for future references I'll try taking pics and post it here in case I'm able to replace the starter.

In the meantime, does anyone know where the starter is really located? Will I be able to look at it once I get under the car??

Oz

Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM

You can see it from the top, in front of the engine where the tranny mates to the engine. Look for the thick red cable going to a round object about 3" diameter.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM

I tried looking for it from the top but can't really see it. I took pictures though.

Name:  2FaCW.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  imxWi.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  mLR9u.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  oDhfK.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  80.7 KB

Thanks,

Oz

Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 PM

Bummer. I apologize for the quality of the pics... I should have given more spacing between them. Didn't know they would bunch up like that. Is there anyway of editing posts? I can't seem to find the button for that.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM

So I found the starter. It's the silver cylinder object in the third picture. But I can't figure out how to take it off. The bolts are all the way in the back! The Hayes manual made it seem so easy, lol. Also, I can only see one cable. I took more pictures:

Name:  O1w99.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  68.0 KB

Do I need to take that plate off? It's got 3 bolts attached to it, a connector in the middle, and then 3 bolts on the other side bolted to the bumper. And where is the other wire?

Second Pic:

Name:  gls7a.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  64.8 KB

Another picture of the bolt, which is further than it looks. It's all the way in the back.

It started raining again, I'm going to go back pretty soon, and try taking that starter off...

Old 12-25-2010, 12:09 AM

Well I was able to change the starter, but now something else is happening!

When I turn on the van, there's a rapid clicking noise coming from behind the fuse box next to the battery. What's odd is that the noise continues even after we take the keys out of the ignition. I know it's not the battery because we tried jumping the van, and it did the same thing.

Why is it happening?? lol.

ARGH!!