Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start after new timing chain cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Default No start after new timing chain cover gasket

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Limited 3.8
Car was running fine, but suddenly developed major oil leak coming from timing chain cover. After much disassembly, I finally opened it up and both oil o-ring and gasket were toast. Replaced with felpro gasket set and permatex. While timing chain was exposed (but not removed), I mistakenly thought I had to align timing marks and turned crankshaft several revolutions clockwise until cam arrow at 6 oclock and crank arrow at 12 oclock. It was difficult to turn, car was in park, and I heard hissing as it turned. To remove crankshaft pully bolt (which is how I turned crankshaft), I had to back it up counterclockwise a bit, messing up timing alignment marks, but I googled that timing alignment only necessary if removing timing belt. I reinstalled cover and pan, reattached coolant hoses, reattached electrical connectors and battery, refilled with coolant and oil and left crank pulley and belts off to test if oil leak had stopped. ENGINE WILL NOT START. Cranks but no catch. Oil light came on and stays on when key in first position but I believe that may be just due to the non starting? I have tried to start several times but cant help but think I am destroyed engine each time it cranks.
Side note, cam sensor needed to be disconnected for cover to come off. I broke plastic foundation of sensor, thinking it would twist out. It now swivels freely but could NOT be removed from cover no matter how I tried. Wires seem intact within plastic though. Another electrical connector that was in my way also had 1 side of its plastic frame (with the clip) broken but still seems like a solid connection and I was planning on using some permatex when the car is fixed.
So, is rotating engine bad? Do timing chain alignment marks matter when chain is not removed? Can cam sensor cause no start?
Thanks, car is abandoned at auto parts store for now

Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Also, can engine even be started with no crank pulley or belts?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Just to close the thread, car is fixed. Turned out to need new camshaft sensor. Although no check engine light was on, a P0340 camshaft code was in there. Got old sensor out by tapping it in first, which loosened it enough to pull it out. Then car was able to start and check engine light came on but was still just the P0340 and went out after a little driving.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:08 PM

glad to hear you fixed it reading this thread made me realise that I myself shall just stick to little simple jobs on my GV and take to a dealer for anything to do with the engine lol

Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dechko
Just to close the thread, car is fixed. Turned out to need new camshaft sensor. Although no check engine light was on, a P0340 camshaft code was in there. Got old sensor out by tapping it in first, which loosened it enough to pull it out. Then car was able to start and check engine light came on but was still just the P0340 and went out after a little driving.
Dechko,

Happy to hear it's all been sorted out for you!