Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power rear hatch does not work properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Default Power rear hatch does not work properly

I recent bought a 2001 Town and Country EX. I bought it from a Toyota Dealership, nice van, has one issue, the power rear hatch does not work properly.

It will unlatch when you click the remote or interior button to open the rear hatch, and make a click, but does not open.

I left it with the toyota dealership for two weeks and they could not repair it, they wanted to keep it longer, but I couldn't take it any longer.

I figure I would see if it is something that others know about as a known issue with a part fix, or should I take it to a Chrysler dealership?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Default RE: Power rear hatch does not work properly

It would be a pretty good bet to just change out the latch-- about $80 for the part and an hour at the most if you've never done it before. The latch contains the switches that report the latch position to the door computer so it knows when it's ready to start the lifting process. If the computer doesn't get the right signal it just stops.

The only practical way to really diagnose this thing is to use the Chrysler DRBIII scan tool (which costs at least a couple thousand for an old used one on eBay). The DRBIII can communicate with the door computer to run a door open test and then report the "inhibit reason" directing you to the faulty component. This process takes about 5 minutes, but the dealer will charge an hour of labor for it. Like I said though, replacing the latch has very good odds of fixing the problem for about what it would cost you justto get a dealer "diagnostic".

Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 PM

do you have this part number? so would be easy to find from anyone on internet!!
thanks a lot, I have the same problem now I know!!!
thanks again

Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks Rick99!

I called Chrysler and they quoted me $163, so he said he will write the part number down for me when I stop by this weekend.

I will post it, and then I will search the internet to see if I can find it cheaper.

Thanks again!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Just to make sure I asked for the right part, it is the Latch Assembly correct?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Yes, it is the latch assembly. If you buy it at a dealer, just have them open the box for you before you pay. It's the part that actually locks onto the pawl when you close the door.

$163 is high and is probably the list-plus 15% many dealers charge for service parts sales. My dealer's parts department is willing to give me their shop rate-- the same discount below list price that they give to professional shops. If you're nice, but firm about asking they may do that for you too. Just look it up on the internet first-- sites like dodgeparts.com and some others sell parts below list. You may have to email or call them for a price quote if you can't find the part in their online catalog. You can then go to your local dealer and tell them you could buy over the internet for $XX, but you'd prefer to do business locally with them if they'll give you a similar price. The parts guy at my dealership made me "promise" I'd buy all my parts from them, but I'm honestly happy to do that-- they still make a little money and I get OEM parts at a fair price.

If you don't want that hassle, of course you could just buy online too-- if you email your VIN, they can make sure they get exactly the right thing for you.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Well, had my van at my mechanic for 5 visits so far. he has the same van with the same problem, so he has been focused on trying to find out why it is not working.

I told him to order the latch assembly, and what he got was a sensor. still not working. He says he has power all the way through, and the motor works, just doesn't kick open or engage.

Any ideas?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM

I have the same trouble but it's intermittent. Works perfectly sometimes, usually on hot days I've found. Also one of the side doors opens but does not roll back every time?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Default non opening/releasing rear hatch lock

I'm in the same boat! Rear hatch doesn't release. Solenoid clicks to moving the latch, but the latch doesn't open. Don't know what to do, but tired of taking a middle seat out to load stuff in the back.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM

Oooh that's bad..it doesn't open at all?
I meant ours just doesn't open on the button every time but it does if you do it manually.
You must need a new latch?