Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing Chrysler Voyager Exec CRD 2.8 Automatic for a long towing trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Default Preparing Chrysler Voyager Exec CRD 2.8 Automatic for a long towing trip

We are towing a 1,500 kg caravan to Spain and back this summer (~4000 miles). Is there anything else we should consider in addition to the normal servicing? Like better quality oil or automatic transmission fluid, etc? Changing brake pads even if they are still ok for normal usage?

Any towing tips from Chrysler Voyager current/former owners are really appreciated.

Also, does this 2007 model have an oil cooler fitted as a standard? If not, where can I find one in the UK and what would be the approximate damage to my pocket?

Many thanks,

Last edited by alexnz; 04-27-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM

I've never towed with my 2.8 CRD. I imagine the high kerb weight and the high torque produced by the CRD make them an excellent tow car.

I wouldn't bother with any extra servicing. If you tow you should change the transmission fluid occasionally. (every 40,000 miles) But only ever use ATF 4 fluid.

There is both a transmission oil cooler (in front of the radiator...cooled by airflow) and an engine oil cooler (through a coolant heat exchanger arrangement at the oil filter) fitted as standard.

I'd be surprised of you suffered from any serious cooling issues, unless you happen to be towing up a steep mountain in very high ambient temperatures.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by booke23
I've never towed with my 2.8 CRD. I imagine the high kerb weight and the high torque produced by the CRD make them an excellent tow car.

I wouldn't bother with any extra servicing. If you tow you should change the transmission fluid occasionally. (every 40,000 miles) But only ever use ATF 4 fluid.

There is both a transmission oil cooler (in front of the radiator...cooled by airflow) and an engine oil cooler (through a coolant heat exchanger arrangement at the oil filter) fitted as standard.

I'd be surprised of you suffered from any serious cooling issues, unless you happen to be towing up a steep mountain in very high ambient temperatures.
Thank you for your advice. Bought today 5 US Quarts (nearly 5 litres) of ATF + 4. It looks like this thing is hard to get in the UK - I've only managed to find two on line vendors, the total price including delivery was £51.70.

What is the good engine oil to use for this model?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Any 10w-40 diesel engine oil is fine. I used semi synthetic last oil change, but ordinary mineral oil is fine in these engines.

More important is that it is changed as per Chrysler recommendations.