Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Starting problems...sometimes

Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 AM
Default Starting problems...sometimes

My 2003 3.3 L Grand Voyager has starting problems. The starter motor always cranks, but under certain conditions it can take too long to fire up. When the engine is cold, no problems. Cranking after engine is shutdown, but within about 10 minutes...ok. But after leaving the engine off for between about 10 minutes to a couple of hours, it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to fire up. Why?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matt from Oz View Post
My 2003 3.3 L Grand Voyager has starting problems. The starter motor always cranks, but under certain conditions it can take too long to fire up. When the engine is cold, no problems. Cranking after engine is shutdown, but within about 10 minutes...ok. But after leaving the engine off for between about 10 minutes to a couple of hours, it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to fire up. Why?
It's 16 yrs old...any CEL lit on the dash? What maint has it had beyond oil changes? Good chance of a weakening fuel pump.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59 View Post
It's 16 yrs old...any CEL lit on the dash? What maint has it had beyond oil changes? Good chance of a weakening fuel pump.
Thanks for your reply. No CEL lit. Engine fully rebuilt about two years ago. Fuel filter replaced last week.
I changed the fuel pump assembly about three years ago due to my fuel gauge jumping up and down intermittently. I guess the pump might be a cause, but I thought this would cause starting issues all the time?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Matt from Oz View Post
Thanks for your reply. No CEL lit. Engine fully rebuilt about two years ago. Fuel filter replaced last week.
I changed the fuel pump assembly about three years ago due to my fuel gauge jumping up and down intermittently. I guess the pump might be a cause, but I thought this would cause starting issues all the time?
The GUESS was fuel pump IF it was the original unit. NO CEL? Then I guess it is time to pull out a test light or DVOM to test for power at the coil pack or even the fuel pump relay in the fuse panel WHEN the situation occurs.
When this happens, have you tried just turning the key to the run position, waiting a few seconds and listen for fuel pump whine(couple seconds) and then doing again before cranking to make sure it is NOT a fuel "bleed down" situation or even loss of electric current to engage the fuel pump?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Thanks. Iíll try what you have mentioned and keep you updated.