Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Stereo help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
H69
Default Stereo help please

As far as I can tell I have this ^^^^ model stereo in my 98 Dodge Grand Caravan and I would like to run it from an external battery - the vehicle has lots of AV equipment fitted in it by a previous owner, drop down screens, games console, TV tuner, VCR, DVD and a big AV distribution amp in addition to the (many) factory fitted Infinity speakers (and amps?).

If the vehicle has this stuff running whilst stationary then the battery gets too flat to start the motor pretty quickly - my wife is unfortunately very ill and I would like to be able to use the "toys" occasionally to entertain the kids whilst we're parked outside hospitals while she receives treatment.

I figured that extra "leisure" batteries were the answer as I have done in more basic VW vans in the past and I have no trouble fitting the battery, split charging, and rewiring the ancillaries - but I have no idea where to start with the factory fitted stuff! This all operates off the key, and I haven't even been able to figure out which fuse it operates off as I was hoping to simply back-feed it a permanent line from my auxiliary battery through the board without having to take the dash and interior out, it's all a bit of a plastic starship to me as I 'm used to archaic Euro' boxes!

Any help or advice will be very gratefully received, thank you.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM

If your battery is fine, and you are only running the Factory fitted radio and speakers, then you should be fine for a few hours to be honest, as long as all the gadgets run off the leisure battery, so it don't drain the main vehicle battery.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
H69

Originally Posted by dcm1971
If your battery is fine, and you are only running the Factory fitted radio and speakers, then you should be fine for a few hours to be honest, as long as all the gadgets run off the leisure battery, so it don't drain the main vehicle battery.
I didn't want to be in the position where I end up with BOTH batteries too flat to start the car though - I'd be happier if I could run everything off the second battery.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Sounds like you need a battery Isolator like this...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...i_sku=11929479

They are often used in recreation vehicel applications so that you can charge both batteries while driving and then only draw off of one while parked (camped). sounds like you are outside the US? Not sure what type of grounding you use where you are at so you will have to make sure this will work for your application. They make many style of these with different current ratings. The problem is finding where to mount a second battery.

Also. when parked, you don't have any interior lights on correct? and you are in the "accessory" position not the "on" position for the key right? Our Van and Pacific seemed to have a problem just watching a DVD for a little bit but putting a new battery in helped. They seem to not function as new after about 2.5 years. I would imagine that it is worse in your van with all the other "Accessories" you have.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM

I've went through this myself many times. I resorted to a completely separate marine battery in my stow compartment! Only problem is I have to charge it separately. Per my other UNanswered thread on the Chrysler - be careful with the charging and power system on these vehicles. They seem to be pretty bad, at least in later models.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
H69

My second battery fits in a custom centre console between the front seats - concealed and trimmed in leather to match the interior.

Though I am in the UK, my car is a Canadian model 3.8 that a friend imported new from the factory because the spec was better than the equivalent European Voyagers.

What are the concerns over the charging system? The draw to keep a 2nd battery topped up should be pretty low, but I would happily incorporate a current limiting circuit to protect the main vehicle if that was deemed a safer course of action?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:12 AM

Keep the battery for your car so you won't have problems starting with it and stick with separate power source for the family entertainment. Better yet, stick to some activity that contributes to good family bonding without using battery power, e.g. talk, ball game.