Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK 2.8 CRD starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Definitely it is a some sensor problem or trouble with old wire ...fuel filter housing pressure sensor or some like that...my wires start burning one day from fuel housing..but I find out that it can cause from fuel pump pressure sensor..I`m not so sure.. but fire under bonnet of my car I will not accept

Old 06-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Default 2020 evidence on a 2007 car

The 2.5 and 2.8 diesels in voyagers and the jeep liberty (possibly others like ldv vans) suffer from long engine start and or engine cutout.

Since Ive had my 2007 Voyager 2.8 CRD for 4 years to address both of these issues, I have:
Changed fuel pressure relief valve (appeared to have fixed the long start issue but not perfect)
Changed the fuel filter regularly (no difference)
Changed all 4 injectors with official Bosch refurb parts (smoother acceleration but no difference to cutout or start - guided by the idea of the solenoid overheating etc)

During the lockdown period I noticed fuel has been leaking, and it was dripping along the fuel filter housing (front left corner behind radiator) and finally dripping out of the water in fuel sensor at the bottom.

I knew about this issue, but this part and labour was more expensive than the other parts, so was definietly at the bottom of my list.

Here is the bulletin for those that need to know more background:
https://workshop-manuals.com/jeep/li...rt/rough_idle/

Most important part is to ensure you order the right filter for your car and the wiring kit for the different electric connector as part of the upgraded design The filter depends on the year of your car is not determined by the reg but actual build year.

Take a look at the last eight characters of your VIN, the eighth character from the right is the year.

Take this example VIN: 1A8GHB2527Y145678
Eighth character from right is 7 (before the Y) this is a 2007MY car

So having changed this, my engine cutout between 50 and 70mph is gone, my slightly hard start is gone and also the slight bit of hunting at idle is gone.

Over time the fuel heater connector melts the pins and allows fuel to leak and not maintain pressure inside the fuel filter housing which builds up some pressure before entering the high pressure fuel pump.

When it used to cut out it wouldnt restart straight away because so much air went in, and so much fuel went out, there was no chance of restarting straight away.I think in my mind it probably swelled open and takes time to relax and seal up again to build pressure.

My advice is, at least check both the connector on the housing and the vehicle side for any damage like what you can see in my own car's photos below, and if so, change this part before any other fuelling parts.

good luck!