Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Voyager auto Gearbox problem help with ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Thumbs down Voyager auto Gearbox problem help with ideas please

I have 1999 Grand voyager 3.3 auto with 96k on the clock.I have owned since new and it had a new auto gear box after 25k (from Chysler under warranty).
I now find that in the mornings when first staring off I select either drive or reverse and nothing happens.The gears will not engage for up to a minute.I rev the engine and suddenly it engages and we are off.Howvever it continues to not engage and even disengage for up to 5 minutes or so..After say 5 miles and once box is warm it works perfectly and then on for all day its fine.I am thinking a sticking valve or similar.
Is their anyone out ther who can shed some light who perhaps hasc had the same problem and found the answer.
Many thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by harryctype
I have 1999 Grand voyager 3.3 auto with 96k on the clock.I have owned since new and it had a new auto gear box after 25k (from Chysler under warranty).
I now find that in the mornings when first staring off I select either drive or reverse and nothing happens.The gears will not engage for up to a minute.I rev the engine and suddenly it engages and we are off.Howvever it continues to not engage and even disengage for up to 5 minutes or so..After say 5 miles and once box is warm it works perfectly and then on for all day its fine.I am thinking a sticking valve or similar.
Is their anyone out ther who can shed some light who perhaps hasc had the same problem and found the answer.
Many thanks
Sounds like the autobox oil needs topping up. Only use Chrysler Mopar ATF+4 oil.