Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

What engine oil and why....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Hello Tim,

It is possible to go down with the SAE viscosity “winter grades”, for example from 10W-40 to 5W-40, and further to 0W-40.

Engine manufacturers typically recommend different viscosity grades, according to ambient temperatures.

SAE 0W-40 should give the best performance and protection for this engine especially in the colder temperatures.

Best regards,

Jaakko Pelkiö

Technical Help Desk Engineer

This was the responce from Mobil oils today...

Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyTim
Hello Tim,

It is possible to go down with the SAE viscosity “winter grades”, for example from 10W-40 to 5W-40, and further to 0W-40.

This was the response from Mobil oils today... ~~~ snip ~~~
- agreed, as stated earlier - I rest my case .. .. in fact I'd sack him if he said anything else. Carlsberg is the best lager in the world .. .. [sentence modifier] .. .. probably !
- its also possible to jump from a height of 100 foot into a fast running winter river bed and survive .. [sentence modifier] .. probably !

While I have your attention I want to tell you about an inheritance with huge profits from natural resources that the I'm trying to protect from taxes by a corrupt Nigerian government. I wondered how many shares in this opportunity you would like to purchase. If you want some of this very lucrative action and the huge benefits you will receive just telephone me on Nigeria 419.

""" whilst if your engine tolerances and gasket[ry] is good it will do your engine no harm in a UK winter, I would not want it in my engine in a UK summer. I use the makers recommended full synth because like tyres I have no intention of falling for the marketing hype and paying twice a year [every year - every year - every year] to change back."""

Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by QinteQ
-

While I have your attention I want to tell you about an inheritance with huge profits from natural resources that the I'm trying to protect from taxes by a corrupt Nigerian government. I wondered how many shares in this opportunity you would like to purchase. If you want some of this very lucrative action and the huge benefits you will receive just telephone me on Nigeria 419.

Richard

Old 12-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- agreed, as stated earlier - I rest my case .. .. in fact I'd sack him if he said anything else. Carlsberg is the best lager in the world .. .. [sentence modifier] .. .. probably !
- its also possible to jump from a height of 100 foot into a fast running winter river bed and survive .. [sentence modifier] .. probably !

I think you are missing the point here my friend.But if you want to go off on some daft tangent on some made up bollocks! Than you carry on. For the rest of us who are genuinely interested in this thread! You can use a 0w-40 in our oil burners.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
In my 2.5 CRD I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.. Which is within Chrysler MS-10725 standards
Shell Helix Ultra is a very good synth oil! I use to use the Helix Ultra Extra C2 spec in my Toyota Avensis T180 2.2L oil burner as it needed a low ash oil fir the D-CAT.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
I use Royal Purple 10w 40 fully synthetic.

My van has a Propane/LPG conversion (3.3 V6), and I do a lot of driving in hilly areas where the engine has to work harder, so becauses these fuels tend to run a hotter, I like to use an oil which is up to the task.

I have seen a lot of reports on the Royal Purple oils. It's very popular with our American cousins across the pond. I've never used it tbh! Not even sure we can get hold of it in sunny Wales there again... I've never really looked... Google time!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM

You can use a 0w-40 in our oil burners.
- you can if you wish also use Marmite or 5 litres of Voodoo
- but Chrysler do not recommend 0W-40, Marmite or Voodoo

if you want to go off on some daft tangent on some made up bollocks!
3 serious question [s] for you my friend, who says :

- (1) """you can use a 0w-40 in our oil burners"" - answer - yourself & some Muppet flogging their oil for profit
- (2) """you can not use a 0w-40 in our oil burners"" - answer - Chrysler after mi££ions spent on research
- (3) """who is talking bollocks the man flogging his warez to anyone who will buy them ~~ or~~ Chrysler ? ""

You are unwaveringly susceptible to advertising messages, and preach those messages to everyone in this group as fact, when the product you are evangelising about is not fact but a unproven marketing opinion or half fact. I imagine for every CRD poster there are perhaps tens of thousands of unregistered noob readers who read these posts and will take as fact your assertion that its ok to use 0W-40 in the UK when regardless of Jaakko Pelkiö's opinion, or your opinion, its not ok .. .. because Chrysler say its not ok. For myself, changing [like your tyre thread] oil twice a year is economic or necessary, we in the UK are never likely to get down to [0w-40] 38 °C minus even for an hour let alone a winter, that's the preserve of our Canadian and Alaska cousins.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM
tfb

When the engine is cold and things haven't had a chance to heat up and expand then thin oil will flow too quickly through the gaps. Oil, as most liquids, will take the path of least resistance. A too thin oil can lead to oil starvation at the extremities of the system.

In addition, hydraulic tappets are very sensitive to oil viscosity.

Regards
Richard

Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 PM

I must have hit a nerve here! I really can't be bothered in responding to your sarcastic post! I really don't care what you think pal! I will contsct Chrysler and VM Motori and ask them the same question I asked Mobil.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 AM

Oil and Oil Change Intervals (OCI) are discussions much like politics or religion discussions (thats why I grabbed the popcorn)

I was in so many oil discussions and read so many different (expert) opinions that I, for myself, distilled a "consensus" opinion out of all the confusion.

Some points I learned:
  • Many opinions are clouded with out of date information, oil technics have evolved strongly in the last decades.
  • Never trust the opinion of an oil salesman, he wants to sell as much oil as possible
  • Car producers always want to be very much on the save side in their OCI and oil standards.
  • There a LOT of oil myths out-there, myths that won't die.
So I stick with A-brand Synthetic oil in the factory recommended viscosity and change it every 20.000-25.000km and have been doing that for the past 300.000+ km in various cars and never, ever had a lubrication related engine problem.

Last interesting discussion on OCI I encountered: here

Quick Reply: What engine oil and why....