General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 New Yorker - Wipers Misbehaving, Body Control Module Issue (Electrical Diagrams)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Question 1994 New Yorker - Wipers Misbehaving, Body Control Module Issue (Electrical Diagrams)

I have a Chrysler New Yorker 1994 3.5L V6 and my windshield wipers started misbehaving in the last few weeks and I'm trying to narrow down the source of the problem.

The high and low speed modes that bypass the intermittent system work just fine. This leads me to believe that the wiper motor is functioning perfectly and so is the wiper switch in the multi-function switch on the steering column.

The intermittent modes 1-9 cause the wipers to engage, wipe one way then stop midway before returning to the park position. I can force the wipers to do another pass by moving to a different intermittent level but they will get stuck once again on the return and often times in a different position in the middle of the window, never returning to the park position. This leads me to believe that the Body Control Module is going faulty since it contains the Wiper Park Switch Sense (2) and Intermittent Wiper Sense (16) connections. I will check the connections and contacts to see if it is just a loose connection but I doubt it.

I already checked and swapped the basics like the intermittent wiper relay in the Power Distribution Unit and fuses.

Please let me know if this is something that you have experienced or know a way of positively diagnosing this problem to find the correct part to replace.

Below are the wiring diagrams for this system. Look at #3 for the BCM details.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

Sounds like a park switch issue. Check the BCM for a park switch code. If the wipers "lose" position in relation to the park switch they simply stop. This keeps the wipers from trying to plow through the cowl.
The park switch is internal to the wiper motor.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CJDAutomotive
Sounds like a park switch issue. Check the BCM for a park switch code. If the wipers "lose" position in relation to the park switch they simply stop. This keeps the wipers from trying to plow through the cowl.
The park switch is internal to the wiper motor.
I ended up changing the entire Wiper Motor since I found one used on eBay for ~$25. That fixed the whole issue.

Before that I tested the wiper switch on the steering column turn signal arm just in case it was the switch but it wasn't since all the resistance readings were exactly what the manual said.

Problem solved.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Nice post. Thanks for the report.