General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Concorde, suddenly fuel gauge, wipers, door locks stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Default 94 Concorde, suddenly fuel gauge, wipers, door locks stopped working

Hi I'm a newbie,
and a electronic tech at a TV repair business for 35 years
I purchased this car a few months ago for my daughter's first car
94 Concorde 68,000 miles
First the auto a/c,heat would come on high in defrost and could not turn off or select any other function. I remove the a/c,heat control unit and inspected it.
The fan speed control seemed funny when twisted back and forth. I sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner and the other controls reassembled it and it worked fine for two weeks. Then one morning I started it and the wipers, fuel gauge, door locks stopped working at the same time.
The a/c, heat will turn on and off manually but only blows on defrost.
The door locks work with the remote but not with the door switches.
The wipers will work if I press the washer but not hi/lo or intermittent.
The fuel gauge stays at empty, and I noticed a few days ago the cruise control is also not working.

I have checked all fuses and relays, even swapped the relays under the hood and on drivers side dash.
I have a Haynes manual which suck's as far as wiring details, but it looks like everything is common to the Body Control Module.
I have removed and checked for faulty or corroded connections to the pc board, tested a few items I recognized and of course disconnected the battery and still no change.

I can get a refurbished BCM through Autozone for $190.00 but would like to know if this is going to fix it and is there any programming that should be done to the replacement BCM or is it just replace and drive on.

The BCM in car has three connectors.

Please Advise
Thanks
supertek57@hotmail.com

Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Ok, as an electronics expert, would you just throw a high $ part at it without appropriate testing (ie using a real scanner?) It if it was me, I'd get out a schematic and pin point the wiring such as power to the BCM.

This personally happened to me. An intrepid came in with identical problems. The owner tossed in a new heater control head unit, new bcm, new door lock switches and new multifunction switch. none of them fixed the problem, so the car comes to me. First thing I do is check power at the fuses (I don't bother pulling them and checking, I just probe them. What I found is one of the ignition related fuse had less than 1v when it should have had power. When I pulled the fuse and probed the hot side I had 12v but when I installed the fuse I had less than 1 v on the same socket.

Without giving the answer, what do you think was the problem? (hint, fuse is between the ignition switch and the load).

Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Well I would suspect a short in the ignition wiring but it should have blown the fuse with a 11 volt drop or the fuse was incorrect value.
But yes I did check across all fuse holders and continuaty of fuses
I don't have a scanner for this vehicle and it does not use OBDII which I do have

What I was looking for was a step in direction as to where to look for a possible open "fusable link", and someone maybe could send me a decent wiring diagram
I did not want to spend the $190 for a BCM if not needed nor $50+ on a manual.
I bartered for the car and spent $250 just to get it to pass inspection
I don't want to invest a lot in this vehicle I would rather replace it with a newer car

Thanks for the post
supertek57

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Probably a dead relay in the fuse box under the hood.