Replacement keys - Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 AM

Default Replacement keys

I lost my only remaining key to my 2005 Town and Country. I found a locksmith who can make a new set if I get a 4-digit pin from a Chrysler dealer. So I did that today but the locksmith wants to charge me $300 to come out and make the keys. Of that, $125 is for the house call. And of that $50 is extra because I live 25 miles from his place of business What I am getting at is, I wonder if it is possible to get the keys made at a locksmith shop without the car being present? It would save me at least $125. Or does he have to be at the car to do the job?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM

The dealer may be able to make you a key knowing the VIN of the car, but will probably charge close to that amount. You might want to look into towing the car to the locksmith.
Might as well have a couple of spares made while you're at it.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:31 PM

Thanks. The dealer and other locksmiths tell me that they have to have the car present when they program the chip. I drove 65 miles to the nearest dealer yesterday to get the 4-digit PIN. I didn't check for certain but I think that the cost of towing the car down the mountain to the locksmith would be close to or more than the locksmith's fee for driving up here. In any case I decided to just pay for him to come up and he is due here any minute now. His fee includes two keys. Now I just need to find a good place to hide the second key on the car in case I lose one while out of town or lock them inside.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC French View Post
Thanks. The dealer and other locksmiths tell me that they have to have the car present when they program the chip. I drove 65 miles to the nearest dealer yesterday to get the 4-digit PIN. I didn't check for certain but I think that the cost of towing the car down the mountain to the locksmith would be close to or more than the locksmith's fee for driving up here. In any case I decided to just pay for him to come up and he is due here any minute now. His fee includes two keys. Now I just need to find a good place to hide the second key on the car in case I lose one while out of town or lock them inside.
If you ever need replacement keys again, you can find the genuine OEM Mopar replacement online and just get it cut at your local locksmith. I was able to find the OE Mopar replacement based on your model, you will just have to verify fitment with your VIN. Here's a link to the page with the key and hope this helps https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5102247aa.html
Old 12-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRev View Post
If you ever need replacement keys again, you can find the genuine OEM Mopar replacement online and just get it cut at your local locksmith. I was able to find the OE Mopar replacement based on your model, you will just have to verify fitment with your VIN. Here's a link to the page with the key and hope this helps https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5102247aa.html
Thanks. They can cut a key and it will open the doors but it won't start the car. For that, it needs to be programmed. And for that they need the car or two original keys.