New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

1996 chrysler town $ country LXI 3.3 litre *MAJOR PROBLEMS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Default 1996 chrysler town $ country LXI 3.3 litre *MAJOR PROBLEMS*

I just purchased a 96 chrysler town & country LXI, 3.3 litre, 2wd about a month ago. There are many, many things that just DONT WORK and I need help. I have emailed some mechanics on tucson freecycle as well as mechanics on craigslist and have come up with several different possible answers, however, most seem to believe the problem is in the steering column.
Let me tell you everything that does NOT work:
1-horn
2-driver's side power window (but i can hear the motor trying)
3-low beam headlights (on/off dial located on DASH)
4-bright lights (you are supposed to pull back turn signal)
5-radio
6-windshield wipers (you have to TURN turn signal for them to work but they dont)

now these are the things that DO work
1-turn signals
2-rear windshield (turn on button is located on the dash)
3-power passenger window (located on door)
4-electric power door locks (again located on door)
5-"PUSH-IN TURN SIGNAL" for a "ONLY 1" time use of WINDSHIELD WIPERS
6-running lights (on/off dial located on dash)
7-power seats (switches located on side bottom of each seat)
8-lights on dash board
9-interior lights
10-power outside mirrors (located on door)
Also, another thing, the van shakes while going from approximately 20 mph to 40 mph. After I hit 40 it's fine.

One more thing, this vehicle has 2 recalls, #1-recall campaign #B24, Clockspring / lifetime warranty (this IS located in the steering wheel and has to do with the airbag) however, the cruise control and horn are on the steering wheel also so maybe the horn will get fixed. On the other hand, the warranty is INCOMPLETE and the repairs were never made by the former owner and were supposed to be fixed before 70,000 miles. Well I have 130K now. I emailed the main Chrysler in Michigan and they emailed me back telling me to print out the email and take it to the dealership to see if they would fix it.

I have only had this van for about a month and can NOT drive like this with children in the vehicle. It is like I have a 7:30 curfew so I dont get a ticket or into an accident because of no headlights. Also, I live in Tucson and monsoon season is supposed to start this week so I wont be able to drive because of the torrenchal rain.

Most of the on-line mechanics have told me they believe it is in the steering column, most likely the multi-function switch. In fact one mechanic said the part would cost over $90.00. By the way if it is this multi-function switch, would anyone know of somewhere to get a cheaper one. And NO i am a girl I cant go to a junkyard and "pull one out myself".

A few mechanics also said that get the recall Clochspring fixed and it COULD fix SOME of my others as well.

Well if it is the multi-function switch, which is located in the steering column or on the turn signal ????supposedly???? then why do some of the things having to do with my turn signal WORK and SOME don't. Obviously, my turn signals work are on the turn signal lever and my "PUSH IN TURN SIGNAL" for a "1 time use" of windshield wipers works as well??

And then ifthat is what it is, it doesn't make absolutely NO sense to me at all because if it is the steering column multi-function switchthen why does:

the driver side only power window not work (located on the door)
outside mirrors not work (located on the dash)
radio not work (also located on the dash)
low beam head lightsnot work (located on thedash)
These 4 above things are not located in the steering column or on the turn signal????

A neighbor checked all the fusesin the vehiclenear the hood release and said they were all good. However, after some on-line research I learned there is another fuse box under thehood.There were 3 rows of fuses andall were labeled as to what part were for, some of the fuses were evenjust like a regular fuse or little 2x2ish black box fuses and the rest were fuses that were like 3 timeslarger than a regular fuse. I have no idea how to check but I did take one of the big black ones that I knew was good and plugged it into something that I knew was bad and it still didn't work.

One mechanic said he thought it may be the BCM (I looked that up and it stands for Body Control Module. If it is that I dont even know what parts and labor would be on that.

Sorry for such a long email post but there are so many things wrong with this van and people who I have talked to believed some, if not all, of the things might come from one source.
thanks for reading and please give me some advice,
Lisa from Tucson, Arizona

ps: does anyone know where to get a steering column multi-fuction for LESS than $90.00 (and as I said befor dont say the junk-yard because i am a girl and would never be able to do that.

Bye, hope to hear from someone soon

Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1996 chrysler town $ country LXI 3.3 litre *MAJOR PROBLEMS*

the clock spring is LIFE TIME for as long as the van is running.
The lights yes could be a BCM I have seen it happen. A multi function switch would be the lesser of the cost factory and no there is not an aftermarket switch for that. A bcm would run u 500 or so. uhmmm check the fuses for the radio and that aslso could be related to the bcm as for as the ign driver to the radio. U are not going to get away from this cheap. If u cant do this stuff take it some where and have them go for it.