New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Default Heating problem

Hello I have a 99 Chrysler cirrus lxi 2.5, and I am trying to figure why my car is only blowing air from the defroster, I can't seem to find the iod fuse there is nothing saying where it is, also I have a very high idle at start up, I changed the tps, IA valve and a couple other things, if anyone can help me with these issues I would greatly appreciate it thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2023, 10:08 AM

If I recall correctly, the HVAC controls are manual and cable driven. When you move mode control do you feel any resistance? You may also be able to hear the mode door move. You can pull the HVAC control by removing the trim around the radio and HVAC control (it is held by 4 fastener clips near the corners) and removing the screws that hold the HVAC control. You should be able to see the cable and note if it moves while rotating the mode control and if the problem is with the HVAC control, cable, or mode door itself.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=ggoose;123375]If I recall correctly, the HVAC controls are manual and cable driven. When you move mode control do you feel any resistance? You may also be able to hear the mode door move. You can pull the HVAC control by removing the trim around the radio and HVAC control (it is held by 4 fastener clips near the corners) and removing the screws that hold the HVAC control. You should be able to see the cable and note if it moves while rotating the mode control and if the problem is with the HVAC control, cable, or mode door itself.[/QUOTE

Old 01-03-2023, 10:30 AM

Thank you for responding I am having the issue of heat only comung out of defrost, the controls are electrical to move from defrost to head and to floor when I move the control it does nothing....still stays on defrost..thank you

Old 01-03-2023, 11:42 AM

My mistake - the mode door is a motor.

The factory service manual notes disconnecting the battery for 1 minute or pulling the M1 fuse (IOD - Ignition Off Draw), typically contained in a special holder which allows it to be pulled but not removed) in the instrument panel to reset the mode door calibration. After power is re-established the software calibration is initiated.

If this fails, the Mode door motor should be replaced. I have attached the page from the FSM for replacement. The other attachment is informational and may be of use when installing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mode Door.pdf (825.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf
Mode Door Linkage.pdf (863.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by ggoose; 01-03-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ggoose
My mistake - the mode door is a motor.

The factory service manual notes disconnecting the battery for 1 minute or pulling the M1 fuse (IOD - Ignition Off Draw), typically contained in a special holder which allows it to be pulled but not removed) in the instrument panel to reset the mode door calibration. After power is re-established the software calibration is initiated.

If this fails, the Mode door motor should be replaced. I have attached the page from the FSM for replacement. The other attachment is informational and may be of use when installing.
Originally Posted by Rashford
Thank you for responding I am having the issue of heat only comung out of defrost, the controls are electrical to move from defrost to head and to floor when I move the control it does nothing....still stays on defrost..thank you
OK thank you, unfortunately it says i don't have permission to open the link you sent to me..I don't know where the m1 fuse is, I searched for it and I couldn't find it...

Old 01-03-2023, 12:30 PM

The M1/IOD fuse in under the fuse cover, left side dash panel. The drivers door needs to be open to access the fuse cover. The M1/IOD fuse will have a carrier around it where the other fuses will be 'naked' (can I say that?)

Not certain why you are not able to access the attachments. You may need to contact an administrator or moderator for assistance.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ggoose
The M1/IOD fuse in under the fuse cover, left side dash panel. The drivers door needs to be open to access the fuse cover. The M1/IOD fuse will have a carrier around it where the other fuses will be 'naked' (can I say that?)

Not certain why you are not able to access the attachments. You may need to contact an administrator or moderator for assistance.
I was able to access the files, thank you, there is a fuse that sticks out farther than the rest it looks like it sits in cradle that sticks out could that possibly be the fuse,, sorry for all the questions,, but I have been working on this car for a while now and still trying to figure it out, thank you for all you help...

Old 01-03-2023, 02:57 PM

Yes, that is the M1/IOD fuse.

The cradle is designed so the the fuse can be disconnected but not remove it. No need to remove it, just pull out to the first stop (though if you pull on it hard enough it will remove). The IOD fuse is designed for use while shipping or setting in a dealers lot for an extended time to reduce drain on the battery. The cradle is there to keep the fuse from being lost.

I have no real need anymore for the factory service manual. If you are interested, it can be yours for the cost of shipping, $15-$20. If interested, private message me with your name/address. No money due until you get the manual.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:01 PM
Default Thank you

Can this be the fuse, also as far as I can see you are the only one replying to me thank you so much...

Can this be the fuse

Quick Reply: Heating problem