Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 T&C Rear Liftgate works fine with everthing except manual door release switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Default 05 T&C Rear Liftgate works fine with everthing except manual door release switch

Hello All,

Been reading the threads on the T&C with lift gate problems but I didn't see one that matched mine so I was hoping to get a little guidance.

Problem:
Rear lift gate works using:
  • Key Fob
  • Button on overhead console
  • Using Key
Rear lift gate does NOT work using:
  • The black electric push button manual release (When pressed nothing happens no sounds what so ever)
Troubleshooting:
  1. When any above working solutions works I hear the lock assembly click and it cinches up when the door closes so to my untrained eyes that appears to be working correctly
  2. There are two wires going to the switch...Green with Black and Green with Red. If I do a continuity test across those wires by piercing them or testing at the plug I have no continuity pressing or not pressing the button
  3. Tried to jump across those terminals and then found out it goes by resistance not power so found that test to do nothing for me
I'm not a total idiot when it comes to wiring but will admit most of my skills are in cars made back when gas cost less than a dollar so not up to speed on the newer systems. That being said I would sure think I should have continuity through the switch so I'm leaning towards a new switch but didn't want to buy a non returnable electrical party if I was missing something or doing something wrong.

Can anybody help me put a nail in this?

TIA!
Ben

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM

As far as I know, the tailgate isn't powered when you use the manual release button, the one under the licence plate lamps. That's certainly the case with the UK Chrysler Voyager models.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply. From what I read online (After I tried to jump it) the system uses ground vs power and that inside the switch is a resistor and depending on the level of resistance on the circuit the lock should open or remain closed. I can't find any specs though so I don't know if that is

1. If what I've read is even true
2. What level of resistance my switch should read with the circuit open or closed.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Sorry John, I can't provide any further input. I've had a 2004 Voyager and my current model is a 2007. Neither have powered tailgate from the button under the licence plate lamp. That just releases the lock. Perhaps the Town & Country is different.
I'm sure other owners will join this discussion soon, this is a very active and very helpful forum.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Key in rear door lock, turn key, press button and lift door open manually. That's how door works manually with mine. Or press fob, or overhead consul buttons and it opens itself. That's if you've got electric doors that is.
Lovely when Merc owners try to show off with there electric rear door.. My side doors open as well, does yours...No...
Voyager is an underrated car by a long way.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM

I fixed this on my 03 grand voyager by taking off the panel above the number plate that houses the switch. Take the switch out by removing 2 tiny torx screws and sure enough water had got in and rusted the contacts. Clean, lube, and seal, put back together and all is still fine from nearly a year ago.
I refuse to buy new parts straight away. Especially electrical! Most can usually be rectified with minimal effort!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 AM

Mine works the same way as goggs' although I never use the key to unlock, I always unlock with the fob. I've never heard of a UK Voyager having the tailgate power switched by the local button, I didn't know that was a feature on some of them.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Just to close the loop on this one. It was indeed a faulty switch. As it turned out 2 of the clips that held it in were also broke so rather that take it apart and clean it up I just ended up replacing. Thank-you all for your feedback and help!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:21 PM

I thought I would double check the Drivers Handbook to see if my tailgate should or should not be powered when I press the unlock button. No mention of that facility on mine.

Attached Thumbnails 05 T&C Rear Liftgate works fine with everthing except manual door release switch-tailgate-r.jpg