Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremilins!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Default Electrical Gremilins!!

HI Newbie Here - so sorry if this is wrong place :-)

i have a 06 Grand voyager limited xs Crd - great for family
BUT........
if anyone has any answers i would appreciate there advice
Elec seats packed up,
fuses all ok.. nothing form switches by side of seat or memory buttons...
earth straps dodgy?? - anyone know where it is?>

Radio goes quiet randomly while driving
suspect link wire to steering wheel?
service park assist keeps chiming at me and saying not in park....
i looked for the module in the rear left storage area but its not there??
as its the European how would i know if its an aftermarket fix?

i put a whopping new battery on - not a lot of change

i am looking at the earth straps....... ANY pointers on where they are?

and lastly....... when driving harder than normal it over heats and water 'pi55es' out around the expansion bottle cap - so i have ordered a new one to see if the spring and seal is defunct in it

Sliding doors powered i think i have a fix form a you tube clip ref a potential bare wire as the door closes then stops. thanks to

any addvice is greatly welcomed -

Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
tfb

Re the power seats, there is a circuit breaker under the seats as well as the fuses in the IPM.

The clockspring in the steering wheel can and does fail, but usually you'll end up with air bag faults as well.

Regards
Richard

Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 AM

thanks TFB - will look for the circuit breaker tonight,

the IPM (is that an integrated power Module?) - is that the fuse and relay box by the battery under the hood?

oh and a great forum very helpful! thanks to all who run it and contribute oto it

Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by jonnie555dog

the IPM (is that an integrated power Module?) - is that the fuse and relay box by the battery under the hood?
yep, plus there is a control module at the front of it.

Regards
Richard

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM

Your last problem is worrying...
Coolant being forced out of the expansion tank can be a blown head gasket, esp. with that "driving hard" you mention. The hard translucent plastic tank used as expansion is easy to check -- as is the pressure cap, both its spring and rubber washer. I'd get a good mechanic's opinion on this forced loss of coolant if I were you. On a diesel, look after your cooling system -- otherwise, BIG repair bills.

One easy thing to do re. electrical issues, lift the "I0D"* fuse for 5mins., then replace. Apparently, this forces a hard reset onto the body micro. It often cures many wierd electrical problems. (It may set off the alarm if bonnet/hood is up and no key in lock).

If the engine cranks as usual during starting, forget the engine ground strap -- it's ok.

I had your battery problem -- it loses charge if you leave it unused for a few days. The only way I've found to cure this is to have the battery on PERMANENT float-charge (you apply a voltage of 13.8volt fixed. The current draw at this is very minimal at about 100milliamps with a fully charged battery, so any of those computer-style power supplies will do. The regulated d.c. output is shown on the label). There's no need to remove the battery from the car. Of course, be careful to ensure correct polarity when clipping on!
Good luck on the coolant problem...

*I0D stands for "Ignition Off Drain" which in UK parlance means the residual current extracted from the battery when ign. is off and the vehicle has been locked and unused for half an hour. As you said, a big battery helps a little, but on this motor, it would have to be a very big battery, and there's not enough room under the bonnet/hood for one big enough. The battery on my Jag. makes this one look positively titchy.

Leedsman.