Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 jxi 2.5 v6 stalling when hot!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 PM

hi all and thanks for replying to my problem. i have sorted this problem by changing my cam sensor which is part of my distibuter.

i got hold of a wiring diagram for my car and i will post below my results so if anyone has the same problem they know what to check for.

once i got the wire diagram i worked out that the asd relay also controls fuel. i had fuel going to the engine but no spark.

i checked the coil's wiring to the rest of the system, note that there is a 6-way and a 2-way (with only 1 wire) connector to the coil/distributor. i checked for continuity between pin 11 of the pcm and pin 1 of the 6-way (black/gray) which is the ignition coil driver wire.
(this was good)

i then checked the ground of my distributer.
contiunity between 6-way pin 2 (black) and ground
(this was good)

then checked for continuity between PCM pin 6 and pin 2 of the 2-way connector (dark green/orange)
which is the ASD relay output wire.
(this was good)

i then checked the resistor in the distributor cap itself. i measured between the center button and the ignition coil terminal, it read 5,000 ohms.
(this was good)

checked the primary of the coil by measuring the resistance between the socket at the coil where the single wire (dark green/orange?) of the 2-pin connector is normally connected and a ground: it was 0.8 ohms
(this was good)

Then the secondary coil resistance measured between the coil tower and the same point as just described above on the 2-way socket at the coil: it read 18k ohms.
(this was good)

i checked the rotor, i had no resistance.
(this was good)

i then got my car to stall again and straight away i got my mate to turn the engine with a soket and ratchet on the crank bolt. while i checked the cam sensor output, it read 0. then when it cooled down again it started reading between 5v and 0.3v.

i came to the conclusion that the cam sensor was getting hot and breaking down. while there is no codes for the cam sensor i think that it must have to meet a threshold for the car to fling a code.

i hope this helps others out the same situation and i thank you all for posts and help.

have a good day.
thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 AM

Just be glad your cam sensor is separately replaceable. Mine comes only in a $180 distributor.

Good you figured it out, and thanks for posting the results for us.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM

myne aint seperate , $180 thats cheap myne was $267 from checker.

my ignition module, coil, distrubuter, cam senor are all one unit. i even tried to open it but i couldnt get the parts individually.

im from england i couldnt belive that my car had distributer, we got rid of them when the romans invaded.

everything i work on has digital injection and air springs.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Many American cars have gone to the coil packs. I prefer them too. But alas, this is why the American car market suffers. They don't want to re-tool or change their contracts with the parts manufacturers.

I really hope that their bail-out brings about change, but that is not a likely result. The CEO's will still extract their millions and spend ridiculous sums of money on jets and other luxuries, (like hookers?) This is what corporate America has become. Truly, it's sickening.

Glad your problem is fixed anyway.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM

i know what you meen, 99% of cars sold in america today are imports.

i didnt think that american cars were that bad. until i owned one.

i needed a cheap second car so i bought my chrysler sebring. its handles like skatebourd on ice. has no power for a 2.5. many 4 cyclinder engines from europe push out more power. in fact my wifes hair dryer pushes out more bhp. i need to change my distributer everytime i do an oil change.

so i just cant get my head around it, for a country that has the best of evrything, fighter jets, cutting edge technology and send rockets into space. why cant america build a car that competes with the rest of the world or even its own market for that matter . i dont mean any disrespect to america. i love it here and its a lot better than the uk.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM

We have a big competitive disadvantage-- the UAW. Even the cars built in the US by Japanese manufacturers don't have this problem.

The 2.5l is a Japanese engine BTW-- Mitsubishi actually.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM

you must be the brains of the op!!!

every dog and his brother knows what the mitsubishi sign looks like. from the minute i opened my hood i knew what it was, that was one of my reasons for buying a 2 bit car companys brand.

just because my blackberry has parts that are made in china doesnt mean i judge it by this. it was still desighned and built by black berry.

im only having a go because i have never been so appalled with car as much as this one.

mitsubishi 2.5 v6 produses about 160bhp were as a bmw engine of the same era that has about 210 bhp and lot more torque.
And you dont have to fix it every month.
and it handles better.
and better fuel consumption
and better cd player
and million more reasons
and it was cheaper than my sebring.

so the 2008 sebring got worst car of the year. if thats todays new latest version getting worst car, imagine what the old ones were like. it just means that there were a lot worser cars out there a few years back.

again i DONT mean any disprect to america or its people. i know there are some awsome cars here, new corvette etc etc but im talking about day to day cars for normal use.

im just holding my hands up to say i tried to adapt to american cars. i have driven quite a few others but the sebring is bad. you cant blaim me for trying but like 99% of america im gona have to sell my sh*tbring and buy an import. something reliable and drives nice with a smooth ride.

thanks again not looking for a slagging match just thought id give you some input from out side the box.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM

"mitsubishi 2.5 v6 produses about 160bhp were as a bmw engine of the same era that has about 210 bhp and lot more torque.
And you dont have to fix it every month.
and it handles better.
and better fuel consumption
and better cd player
and million more reasons
and it was cheaper than my sebring."

Ahh, so why again was it that you bought the Sebring?

Next time you find a BMW cheaper than a Sebring, buy it. (and the tree it's wrapped around, too.)

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM

once again not looking for a slagging match.

bmw are cheaper europe, not so here.

reason for buying sebring, needed a cheap second car and i thought it cant be right wahat everyone says about american cars.

but its true, even my collegues at work say dont buy an american car buy a honda or toyota, they dont brake down.

ive never seen a bmw rapped round a tree

thats just gave me a good idea, maybee my sebring would look better rapped round a tree.

come to think of it, thats a really good thought.

im just saying, one more disatisfied customer.

Last edited by craigspeedy; 02-28-2009 at 07:42 PM.