Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 sebring no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Default 2002 sebring no start

I have a 2002 Sebring, I was driving it and it turned off. when i come to start it, it just clicks once.
I tried boosting it, still one click, then after a while it would start clicking more than once and faster.
at one point the starter started turning slowly but it didnt have enough juice to start b/c I didnt have it connected to the booster.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 PM

When I had this problem on another car, I was told this; run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. If it does the same thing, the battery or starter is the problem. If it starts, there is something else wrong. This article talks a little bit about it.

http://www.startribune.com/business/...ciUoaEYY_4PcUU

MRR

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM

It could be one of three things the battery, starter or alternator. If its clicking then the starter isn't bad but if it stopped while driving then its more than likely the alternator. Autozone will test the starter the alternator and the battery all for free. You can get a better determination that way.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mwstant the alt has nothing to do with starting up the car. It only works when the car it self is running.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 AM

where is the starter located, maybe i will give it a tap. i dont think it is the alternator, b/c the battery still had juice in it when the car died. maybe it is the battery or starter, or just something electrical. b/c it did crank slowly at one point. seems like it is not getting enough power to start no matter what u do.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM

How old is that battery? If you don't know, then it might be original and it's probably time for a new one after 7 years. Just because it has enough juice to light the lights it doesn't mean it's got enough to crank the engine. You said it would crank slowly. That is a prime indicator of a weak battery, but it could also be an indicator of corrosion in the starter circuit. Before you fool around with the starter, check the battery. It's located in the left front fender behind the headlight. You access it by removing the left front wheel and removing the splash shield in front of the wheel.
Check the connections and cables leading from the battery. If they have corrosion (white fluffy stuff), clean them up. Have the battery load tested for cranking power. If it's good, then you'll need to look at the wiring in the starter circuit and the starter itself.
The starter is located on the front side of the engine toward the transmission, down low. On the four cylinder engine you can reach it from above, on the six, from underneath.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM

just to verify why i said it was the battery is because he said it stopped while he was driving and if its a bad alternator it could stop while driving because the battery is no longer charging so it will die after a period of time being on the road. So I would go to autozone and get all three checked out since its free just to find out.

Last edited by mwstant; 07-16-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM

It turned out the A/C Compressor was seized, they replaced it, the car runs fine. but one thing I noticed when i got it back, there was alot of pressure in the coolant system!!!

The temperature gauge it normal, but there is alot of pressure in the system, and its always bubbling in the reserviour tank, and started to leak around the thermostat housing.

I thought maybe it needed to be bled from the air, so I opened the bleeding nipple, air kept on coming out of it, but no coolant, even after i turned the car off, it was whistling air out for a good 10 mins.

Then I drove it a few meters to park it, and the thermostat housing top blew off from the pressure.

while the was was on, ( after it cooled down) I opened the reserviour cap, and added some coolant while the car was on, then it started making a popping sound.

but still no overheating.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM

You are not supposed to have more than about 15 psi of pressure in the cooling system. It is the function of the pressure cap to maintain proper pressure. It should release any excess pressure.
Have the system pressure-checked for leaks, and have the cap pressure-checked for proper function.