Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 sebring convertible top motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Default 2004 sebring convertible top motor

Ever since purchased new, every 6 months or so the convertible top motor seems to stop having enough power to raise the top. The dealer never finds a problem, and the top works fine for several months, then it starts sounding as though its binding, and the top won't raise. Is this common? Is it possible the mechanism needs some sort of lubricant?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: 2004 sebring convertible top motor

I own a 2002 and have a similar problem. Mine shows up when the top has been down for two days or more. the temp fix was to lube all the joints. the problem returned after a few months. I found that if you lower it back down for a second, it will finish the trip up. I am checking other forums for help. I can tell you that after warranty is up, the dealers like to replace the motor assy and the lifts.
Good luck

Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Default RE: 2004 sebring convertible top motor

Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in these pumps when you are having this problem?

Old 11-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Default Will go down but not up

I recently purchased a 2004 touring convertible and was so excited when I put the top down. Not so happy when I tried to bring the top up and it won't move I hear no noise at all from the motor. I checked the hydraulic fluid level in pump and added 55 cc/mL of transmission fluid. I read that the parking brake needs to be on for top tp go either direction, is there any other requirements that I might be overlooking? Can the top be manually raised if have enough strength or will it damage something? Any direction on how to troubleshoot?

Old 11-10-2022, 07:41 PM

Could be lots of things. The circuit from the switch goes trough the body computer and to the pump. Could be the switch, the wiring, the body computer or the pump motor itself. If you decide to seek professional help, take it to a shop that specializes in convertible tops. Don't bother with a dealership or a general auto repair place. You want somebody who works on these thing all day every day.

Try posting your question over at * Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Club * - Welcome to the Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Forum! This site and its members specialize in the Chrysler Sebring/200 Convt. where everybody is a Chrysler convertible owner. They might have an answer for you there.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:00 PM

I do not suspect the motor. That the motor works to drop the top tells me the motor is good (the motor reverses to close the top). Regarding the top not going up, it could be either the console switch or the relay next to the pump motor. You will need to determine that the console switch is able to send power to the relay for both top up and down. If there is console switch power to the relay for both up and down you will need to verify the motor relay is pulling properly to switch the polarity of the voltage to the motor. My first suspect is the console switch as it could have had a soda or coffee spilled on it at some time.

The parking brake is not involved in either dropping or raising the top. You can open or close the top while moving slowly if needed (say if it starts raining and you are pulling up to a stop light). There is a mph limit on raising or lowering the top but I do recall the exact mph. The top will simply stop moving if too fast.

Yes you can manually close the top. It is a bit of a pull as you are moving the fluid in the lift cylinders but it can be done. You will need to stand on the back seat to get it moving. There is no harm in manually raising or lowing the top.

I also suggest posting on the 'sebringclub.net' forum, dedicated to Sebring and 200 convertibles. They are extremely knowledgeable and understand the need to drop the top. Remember, a convertible with the top up is just another car.

Last edited by ggoose; 11-10-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:31 AM

You were right ggoose, it was the switch. I took it apart and used electronic contact cleaner and filed some rust off put it back and it worked! Thank you so much for your direction. I was thinking it might be the switch or the relay but then again I was looking at the cylinders too so I appreciate your help thank you.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:47 AM

Most excellent! Thanks for the follow-up

A tibbit for you - there are 2 positions on the switch when dropping/oipening the top. The first position/click only drops the windows. The second position/click both drops the windows and lowers the top. I always pulled past the first position to get to the top drop and rarely used the first position/click (that is what the arm-rest switches were for...).