Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 with two common probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Default 2002 with two common probs

Hello all,

Just bought my first Chrysler product yesterday and am looking forward to it. Convertible 2-door LXi model with 80k mileage. It makes the snap noise on the drivers door. Someone has thrown a bunch of grease in there, but the piece appears to snap back in making the noise. Sounds like a metal band snapping back, but what I read in here it maybe a plastic shield/cover. Am I right in thinking that the plastic can be removed and the noise may go away?

Second issue is that the driver rear qtr window is slow to operate and doesn't go down all the way with the top. On direct control it is also slow and makes a slight rubbing/grinding noise (from the glass) and will finally go up/down with concerted effort.
This appears to be an adjustment issue. Any links or diy on getting the interior covering off to inspect/adjust?

Thanks
Fla

Last edited by FlaGuy; 03-14-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Welcome to the forum FlaGuy are from Florida

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM

I'm basing this on my 2001.

Squeak on door;
Are you able to pinpoint a location? Mine did this due to a problem in the part that stops the door from swinging all the way open (I do not know the name). That part would have to be replaced if it is the problem.

Quarter-window; (again, based on 2001)
Remove lower rear seat (either unscrew bolts on bottom of seat or just pull up)
Remove back seat (should be able to just lift up)
Remove speaker grill (snap off; use a panel remover or putty knife)
Remove screws from speaker
Unhook and remove speaker
Unscrew all exposed screws on panel
Use a panel remover to unsnap the fasteners (or spend time with epoxy to mend all the plastic you just broke trying to do it without one; good times)

Best advice is to head to an auto parts store to get a manual. The one I have is woefully lacking in the window-adjustment area, but it DOES say how to get the panels off to figure it out yourself.

MRR

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM

Browse through the postings on the forum here as the adjustment of the glass has been discussed before. Your '04 is the same car as kybarrister's '01, so search his postings and you'll find it.
Invest in a set of trim tools to help remove the panels. They are cheap but will save your interior from the destructive effects of using the wrong implement. They are worth their weight in gold.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM

The door noise comes from just above the bottom hinge drivers side. There's a small metal armature which my guess is some sort of door opening stop. There's a piece on top or the whole thing that slides out when opening the door and I can make out a partial eyelet and it snaps back creating the sound. A good manual and a trim tool is next on the schedule.

Thanks for the helpful replies all.

Last edited by FlaGuy; 03-13-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Yep, that's the part. It rusted and then broke. Spraying WD40 all over it and inside the plastic might lessen the noise, but it will not help it perform its task of keeping the door ajar. It will cost about $200 for the dealer to replace it (I considered it worth it and it was the only thing the dealer actually did right on my car). You could probably easily do it yourself, but I do not know where you can find a new part.