Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

chrysler sebring 08 hood rusting

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Default chrysler sebring 08 hood rusting

any body else got/had this problem?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

geo67,

I haven't experienced or heard of that being a problem with the '08 Sebrings but all Chrysler Group vehicles have a 5 year / 100K mile sheet metal perforation warranty.

Per the warranty information booklet, they are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials which cause perforation (inside-out rust-through only)

This warranty does state that it does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.

I would certainly have your dealer inspect the area and see if they can assist you.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 AM
Default hood

It happened on my 08, and it cost 380 to put right.
It starts with a few bubbles on the front edge. Forget the warranty, they will just wriggle, and requires a complete hood respray.
Not enough paint applied originally, nothing new there though, and possibly base coat missed. They must have guessed they were on the way out, so took it out on the end user!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
geo67,

I haven't experienced or heard of that being a problem with the '08 Sebrings but all Chrysler Group vehicles have a 5 year / 100K mile sheet metal perforation warranty.

Per the warranty information booklet, they are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials which cause perforation (inside-out rust-through only)

This warranty does state that it does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.

I would certainly have your dealer inspect the area and see if they can assist you.
sorry i didnt reply quicker, ive been away working.
anyway, i have took it to the dealer and they got it resprayed in march 2010,
however, it is now all coming back again(the bobbling) i took it to the dealer again and they said that 90% of the sebrings that they have done this repair to have been ok.the dealer said that it told chrysler that not all repairs would be successful but were told to do it anyway,when i phoned chrysler they said it was a botched job so therefore not there fault,when i phone the dealer they say chrysler was fully aware that there would be reoccurance of the rust so there not at fault.
im stuck in the middle with a 3 year old car thats rusting and nobody cares.
the dealer said he had 4 cars in with the same problem. the dealer said to change the hood it would cost chrysler $1000, but to get it resprayed it costs $400 and only 10% would be unhappy, guess which way they are fixing the cars. what would you do?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Geo,

As you said, I too would suggest first seeking a second opinion from another dealer. If they do not offer a solution that your satisfied with I would request a meeting with their corporate area manager to review the vehicle in person to see with his/her own eyes what the condition is.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:08 AM
Default Rusting corner hood

Originally Posted by geo67
any body else got/had this problem?
yes.. I have this problem.. Narrowed down to there is sealer on both sides which prevents condensation forming..i have removed the sealer which has blocked the overflow holes for water to drain out. Spray lubricating oil in this opening on both sides..lay across the radiator support an old blanket..lower the bonnet so the oil can create a good sealer thus preventing the rust to increase.. Mine has not spread in 3 years.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 AM

I bought a used 2006 Chrysler Sebring in 2011 for about $4,000. It was what I could afford. Plus, I felt safe in it because it had a large crash zone. But it had so many problems that were all expensive to fix and I ended up junking it a couple years ago.