Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Electrical Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Default Electrical Problem...

I'm having a couple of electrical issues with my 2005 Sebring. 1. The switch on the driver's door for the power door locks is completely dead, it doesn't work at all. The switch on the passenger's side works fine and will lock and unlock ALL of the doors. 2. The dome light doesn't work when the driver's door is opened but does work with ALL of the other doors. 3. If my car has an alarm system,and I assume that it does, it doesn't seem to be working either. I have checked all of the fuses in the dash and under the hood and didn't find any burned out or missing. I'm wondering if it is all one problem. Could it be the driver's door lock switch? Could it be a broken wire in the driver's door or boot? Could a wiring harness be unplugged somewhere? Is it a computer problem? I don't want to start tearing my car apart without at least having some idea of what I'm looking for. What do you guys think?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

open up the driver side boot and look for broken wire

Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Default Thanks...

Thank you Chrysler Tech I will check for a broken wire.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM

I pulled the door boot in my '05 Sebring and found two wires that were broken in half. One wire is white with a green stripe and the other wire is brown with a white stripe. I spliced in extra length of wire, soldered the connections and covered them with heatshrink tubing. The driver's door lock switch will now lock ALL of the doors but will still not unlock them. This is the white/green stripe wire. My interior dome light still doesn't work when the driver's door is open and the alarm system doesn't seem to work at all. The brown/white stripe wire doesn't seem to make any difference to anything. I checked all of the other wires and didn't see any other broken wires although I suppose it's possible that a wire could be broken inside and still appear to be okay. It doesn't look like anyone else had been in there as I didn't find any previous repairs. What else should I be looking at?

Last edited by Koolcbody; 01-09-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

I had the the same issue in terms of the drivers side power door lock. CHRYSLER TECH gave me the same advise and it worked like a charm. The green and white wire was broken in half and I spliced using a female/female wire coupler. Locked and unlocked the doors fine. Can't speak for the dome and alarm system....Best of luck and I hope someone chimes in with a help fix. The fact that your power doors now lock but will not unlock seems odd..

Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM

The brown/white wire runs from the door-unlock relay to the lock motor in the door.

The fact that it doesn't seem to do anything may mean there's another break in it or your lock/unlock motor is bad. The lock/unlock motor also contains the switch that senses the door is open (or ajar) and that could explain the other problems as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. It's still winter here and I'm working on the car outside so it will probably be another month or so before I pull the door panel and really give everything a good look. There are quite a few of these cars at the local boneyard so I should be able to find parts.