Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

will not rev cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: will not rev cold

From those codes, I suspect you are not getting a good input to the primary side of the ignition coil. This could be caused by a bad coil or a bad circuit leading up to the coil. It could also be a problem with the engine computer that feeds the coil. A safe rule of thumb is replace the cheapest things first. After everything cheap is fixed, and if it still isn't right, then it may be time to think about replacing the computer. Ouch.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 AM

Whats the cheapest? Where should i start and what should follow?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 AM

I have a 97 with a 2.5. The Camshaft Position Sensor, the Coil, and the distribution system is all in one package. They're not cheap, but if perhaps you only have some corrosion or other debris in there you might get lucky and not have to buy one.

But that position sensor, as well as the Crankshaft position sensor have caused many an un-coded problem. Your coil is there as well, and your code defines a coil/ignition problem.

The distributor is also subject to the temperature extreme of direct contact to the block, possibly causing your temperature related symptoms.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM

I'm not sure if your 96 is like my 97, but mine has the camshaft position sensor located within the distributor along with the ignition coil and rotor. Sounds like your problem may be located there and is temperature sensitive. (Electronic parts are occasionally that way)

Inspection and cleaning could resolve the issue, but honestly, I doubt it.

The crankshaft position sensor can also cause some glitchy operations, but it is not as likely a candidate for this problem.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I have this exact prob in my 97 Sebring coupe v6 and its driving me crazy. Did you ever find out the problem? Mine wont rev past 4k untill driven 15+ miles. New: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter... even put a new distrib in but returned it after it was still doing the same thing. I have tried the trick of spraying carb cleaner in the TB when its stuck at 4K ... no difference. I pretty sure its getting gas.

Are these cars know for bad ECU's? or maybe the crank sensor? Car is throwing no codes right now. someone help.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 PM

I think a mas air flow sensor myself, but you usally get a code.

From a manual i just got this. When the PCM sees that you are in park or neutral it won't allow the engine to rev up to 4000rpm. It will reduce the fuel injector pulse width and cause the engine to surge like that. There is not a problem with it, that is the way the designed it to prevent the engine from over reving when not in gear.

maybe there is some sort of cannection with the coputer not seeing
the vehicle in gear....sensor???is there any codes in the transmission?

Another thought is the catalytic converter. When a cat breaks inside it can restrict the airflow, so at high revs the back pressure is very high.

that cam sensor screwed my car up, it would get hot and break down.
my car would stall.10 mins later it would start back up. it did this for 2 days til i figured it out, once stalled .i put a fluke on the cam sensor while
turning the engine over by hand. and measured output. it had no output then it started working 5 mins later once cooled down.
my distributer is all in one, primary,scondary coil,cam sensor, ignition module. the part was like 300 bucs from checker. but 6 months later my primary coil failed and i had to replace again. (parts warrenty)
Maybe there is some issue there......with your cam sensor reading incorrectly until warm????

As i have suggested a lot of suggestions. no one is made of money and there has to be a point before you start throwing money away.
you might be better letting the dealer have it for few hours to work out was is wrong. it prob will be cheaper in the end.

hope you get it sorted and good luck.
let me know how it turns out.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM

hey thanks for the reply. I thought about the rev limiter that a lot of cars have in park but this is not the case. Because this car doesnt have one. It wont rev past 4k when cold in park or on the road. After about 15+mi of driving the car little by little rev's higher and higher.

changed the distributor but had the same prob still. I had to bring it to a shop yesterday...stay tuned we'll see if they can figure it out lol.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 AM

I hope they can figure out the real problem and fix it up for you.I'm wondering where the codes are coming from.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM

well 2 different shops have checked it out and none of them was able to find the prob... so i got sick of it and sold the car. I even changed the cat in the end. So we will never know what the prob was. I lost $600 tring to find out, i had to cut my loses and move on.