Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Stealership issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Default Stealership issues

I have a 2008 Aspen and I have a couple of issues I need corrected. The first is the gas splash back that is covered by TSB 14-001-12 REV A and the second is the esp/bas and traction control lights on. I've pulled the codes using alfaobd and am getting codes c123f and c1240 both pertaining to the steering angle sensor ( it's reading 360 when straight ahead ). I've tried to read codes from the SAS and it reports none, but the ABS shows the above codes. When I turn the wheel clockwise 1 turn it goes to zero and turned to the stop is 1165. Going counterclockwise almost 1 turn from center it reads 719 and doesn't change from that continuing to the stop. I'm thinking because the SAS is reporting no errors that it might just need to be reset, maybe replaced. But when I took it to the dealer they told me I would have to leave it with them for 2 days for them to run diagnostics, when I said what about just doing the TSB repair I was told I would still need to leave it with them for 2 days so they could run diagnostics to make sure of the issue. I told them 1 the TSB says to replace the fuel filler tube if a customer complains of fuel splashback and that it's reimbursible meaning it costs me nothing to get fixed, and 2 I've already run the diagnostics on the SAS, I just need it reset or replaced if it can't be reset, they still keep telling me they have to have the car for 2 days to run diagnostics. Has anybody else run into these types of issues with a dealer? I feel they're just trying to get the car so they can come up with a big list of "fixes" it has to have done so they can overcharge me or try to get me to trade it in on a new one. It does have some other codes that to me are non issues or fixes I can do, EVAP leak ( possibly due to filler neck as it's saying gascap on odometer, a O2 sensor issue, and one of TPM isn't sending a signal. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'd really hate to have to drive to another dealership as I have 3 others around but they are 45 minutes plus away and I know the dealer needs to do the gas filler neck so I don't have to pay for it.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

ok first of all you have a 2008 truck 13 years old. Out of warranty. Now a TSB is not a recall its not free. a TSB informs techs of an issue that engineers have found and this is what corrected it. SO yes you will need to pay for a diagnostics for both items if they find that the tsb pertains to the issue your having then they can repair it. Now on the other hand if you want to do it yourself go right ahead. Buy what ever the part is and install yourself. Or have a local shop install it. I do see the TSB does have an unlimited mileage and time warranty but still you can not assume this is the cause with out them looking at it first. If it s the issue then by all means it would be covered.
Did you see the build date ranges? does your fall into that area?

As for the bag of fixes its no different then any other shop when they get a car the see what issues there are and send you a list. its called upselling. The dealer is likely better at it for you car because they see the same cars day after day you you become alot more familiar with issues and know what to look for much quicker then a normal shop.

3rd just because you have codes for a module issue does not mean thats is the solution. Codes direct a tech to look at a certain area for an issue and what the computer is seeing based off the programing in the software. If it were as simple as code A says this then replace this. There would be no need for techs you can simply just replace what ever yourself.

Most shops dealers included frown away from someone coming in saying i want this XYZ done, Especially when its a repair not maintenance when just about anyone can do. SO if you have them replace this because you said so and if it does not fix what ever the issues is .you will likely be upset and who knows what would happen Of i duno blame the shop for not doing it right or something like that. So now you have a PR issue the shop will likely give the money back or actually fix what's wrong and not charge you or what ever. The point is if you tell someone to do something and it does not correct your issue there is only one person that needs to hold the blame and that would be the customer but you cant tell them that in most cases.
I run my own business I do the same thing. I will replace what ever you want its your car your money. But i am not responsible if what you ask me to do does not correct your issue and I will charge a diagnostic fee to correctly fig it out.

Last edited by CHRYSLER TECH; 02-09-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:37 PM

I guess you didn't bother to read the TSB I alluded to for my splashback issue, it clearly states that it is a unlimited time and mileage warranty extension, which to me means that they know of the problem, this is the fix for the problem, and that it is a permanent non expiring warranty item. As to the other issue, no I did not tell them that that was the part to be replaced, I told them what the codes were that I had pulled so they would know where the issue is, and needing the truck for 2 days to run diagnostics is a bit much. If they're swamped with work, then set an appointment time for me to bring it back in to diagnose, again 2 days is way too long. I asked for a specific time to bring it back in to get the diagnostics run, which any competent shop should be able to do in a short time, again 2 days is extreme, and they again said even with a time they would still need 2 days to run diagnostics on it. I might also add I had tried several times to contact them by email and voicemail before bringing it in, all emails got a canned response about letting them know what car I wanted and they would be glad to discuss options and pricing ( even after specifically stating in the email this was for the service dept.) I was told all emails go to sales who do not forward service emails, and that all voicemails can't be retrieved because they were setup for the old service advisors and they ( the new advisors ) have no way to retrieve the voicemails as the old advisors didn't give them the passwords. The TSB is attached. All I was doing was trying to give whichever tech a good starting point to start from in order to fix the issue I needed fixed, I don't need a massive list of petty items that I can fix myself, I just need the ones I can't fix myself and the one covered under the TSB fixed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SB-10043594-2667.pdf (380.3 KB, 22 views)