Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Pacifica TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:38 PM
Default bad sensor

Originally Posted by haio
This is not correct. You need to "train" your sensors. You do this from your evic menu. Start the training procedure and activate the sensors one by one clockwise from front left wheel by holding a strong magnet to the valvestem. When the system recognice the sensor the horn will sound and you proceed with the next one.
will a bad sensor retrain?

Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldtwentyone
will a bad sensor retrain?
A decade old thread coming alive.
Yes. A bad sensor(low battery or cracked housing) could retrain. A dead sensor will not. Do you get a "check tire system" and not a low/high pressure warning? There could be other faults to the system causing the message.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:34 PM

Just the (Check Tire System Soon) warning unless I reduce the pressure to less than 25lbs then the (1 Tire Low) comes up alternating with (Check Tire System Soon) Also if I inflate a tire to above 45lbs. then (1Tire High Pressure) comes up also alternating with the (Check Tire System Soon) I checked all 4 sensors this way and they all seam to be communicating with the (Mini Trip Computer) When I restore all tires back to 33lbs the Low/high warnings go off. But the (Check Tire System) stays on. Even after driving the car over 20 miles per hr. for 5miles. However the low or high warnings don't appear or go off until I drive the car when I adjust the pressure. Also when I reduced the 2 rear tires to below 25lb it only indicated (1Tire Low) on 1 test. I took it to a tire shop and they walked around with a sensor reader tool and checked the sensors they said they were all working no dead or low battery warnings. He also retrained them and the horn beeped on all 4 and retraining was completed. I looked in my owners manual that came with the car. and it mentioned that the TPMS System may require more information to determine the correct mode of operation, like if a spare or non sensor equipped wheel is in use answer Yes using the step button or no spare or non sensor wheel answer No and th TPMS will resume normal operation. the problem is I don't get that option or request no matter how many times I hit the step button. all I get is retrain L front tire. Stumped

Old 04-23-2020, 09:30 PM

It's been some years since I had theese problems. I do not remember all about it. But I believe you do not get the spare tire question until the system loose signal from a sensor? I still believe you may have a bad sensor tho. Maybe one of the rear wheels as you only got "one tire low pressure"? I do not know if the sensor checker used would be able to read a low battery from theese? How old are your sensors? From memory I believe the batteries was said to last for 4-5 years?

Do you have another wheel with a working sensor? If you have or could get hold of one you may try to train the external wheel instead of one on the car, one wheel at the time to see if the message disappears. There may not be too many used early build PAC wheels/sensors around anymore? Maybe a wheel/sensor from other chryslers may also fit? Or you may get a new one. If you train the new one (without mounting in a wheel) instead of the bad one(one wheel at the time) you should get 1 tire low pressure, but no service system message.

From goldsmi's post above:
"If your VIN is lower than 4R499999 you have the older system that is WCM (wireless control module) based so keep on reading.
The sensor is part number 5288990AC or Standard Motor Products TPM59
OE manufactured by Schrader, 433MHZ, FCC ID# MRXTG224AM02."

I had problems with sensors in both my winter and summer tire sets. Replaced several sensors. Finally got rid of the problem when I changed the instrument cluster(for other reason) with a cluster from normal build PAC. Believe it was from an 05. Nice surprise! As the later TPMS is a different system the whole TPMS menu was gone. No more TPMS messages. Never missed them a second. :-)

Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, The sensors are original which makes them 16 years old. Took my car to the tire shop and they checked all 4 with there diagnostic tool LR was bad and RR rear showed low battery supposedly the front 2 were o k.Had both rear tire sensors replaced to the tune of 160.00. They checked all 4 sensors and said they were all working. then retrained them. (Check Tire System Soon) warning did not go off. Drove the car continuously for over 5 miles at over 20 mile per hr.. Still no luck. My spare tire does not have a sensor. And I have never got the (Is Spare Tire In Use) message. So my guess is something else besides a sensor is going on. After all if that message comes up when it loses signal from one of the sensors, which makes sense and supposedly my rear wheel sensors were bad. the message in theory should have come up. Allowing me to use the step button to answer yes or no. Which I think should allow the system to reset and operate in the correct mode. Is there any thing else I can do? Or is it time to break down and take it to the Chrysler Dealership for (Wireless Control Module) or (Compass Mini Trip Computer) Diagnostics?

Old 04-27-2020, 10:54 AM

My knowledge of this system is limited to experience with my own car, my factory repair manual, and general knowledge as an electrical engineer. I do not have a lot more to offer. But if the original sensors are still working after 16 years of regular use I find it quite surprizing. It is by far the most vulnerable part of the system. The factory manual says they last UP TOO 100K. But age is an important factor to batteries. 16 years is a looong time. If they actually still works it will not last for long. Sensors are not cheap. But in this case I think it would be worth changing the front sensors too before searching for other faults. I bet that would be the dealerships recomendation too, even if there may be other faults? Known Working sensors would be the base for fault finding.
I checked the factory manual. I do not find the spare tire question mentioned, but remember having seen it in my car. I do not remember the actual situation. But all my TPMS problems has been due to sensors.
Here are links to the actual parts of the 2004 Pacifica factory repair manual if you want to download. I'll keep them in my dropbox for a week.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntyzlsjz3r...uzzer.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1f47sdqzv...ystem.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6tu2g90jf...Tires.pdf?dl=0

Old 04-27-2020, 11:35 PM

Thanks Haio, I am taking your advice. 16 yrs is a long time for a battery. I re checked the front two sensors that haven't been replaced by lowering the air pressure to below 25lbs. and both of them gave me a 1 tire low warning but not without driving the car. Where as the 2 rear sensors that have been replaced did not require moving the car to get a warning. How ever the RR rear did require me to start the car, where as the LR rear only required the key to be in the on position. The LR was replaced with a shradar #20028 which is supposed to be a replacement for Chrysler OEM # 50288990AC for the early build Pacifica that uses a magnet to relearn, which mine is The RR was supplied by the tire shop that installed them both and I don't know what kind it is. I ordered two more shradar 20028 from TPMS.com. 39.00 ea. with free shipping. I'll post the results when I get them installed. I'm confident that with all the sensors replaced and giving me the 1 tire low reading without having to drive the car, which I assume is because the batteries where low. The dreaded (Service Tire System Soon) warning will go away. If it doesn't I may have to replace the RR which will be the one odd duck that doesn't match. Before I do further diagnostics.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 AM

Your front sensors giving messages actually indicates that they work.(but may fail itermittently?) The manual says The signal is read once a minute while in movement.
From the manual:
"The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system uses radio and sensor technology to monitor tire air pressure levels. Sensors, mounted to each road wheel as part of the valve stem, transmit tire pressure readings to a receiver located in the overhead console. These transmissions occur once every minute at speeds over 20 mph (32 km/h). The Tire Pressure Monitoring system remains active even if no tire pressure related message is displayed in the instrument cluster".

Another concern is to get the sensors from a thrusted source. Even if the sensors are correct, you may risk getting NOS sensors that has been riding on a shelve for 16 years.
Your RR does learn, which indicates it is recognised by the system and then would be correct, I guess? But you never know.

Another tip: Be sure not to store your old sensors in or near the car when relearning the new, just to be sure they do not interfere. I had a case.
I'm happy the system disapeared from my car! Still got the car, But no plans to activate TPMS again.

Please report your results.