Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

'05 Pacifica light but loud clunk/clack

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Default '05 Pacifica light but loud clunk/clack

Hello, first time here, but since we are chrysler/dodge fans I figured I might as well start someday, anyway....

I have a 2005 Touring AWD model Pacifica that I bought used. Lately I have been hearing a certain click/clack/clunk noise coming from the front suspension area that a couple mechanics have not benable to find but can hear. Its not a clicking, and is not a double clunk or any form of multiple sound. It is a solitary sound.. that sounds like a dull metal click, almost like a single bounce of a baseball on a 1/2" metal plate or a wooden spoon hitting the bottom of a thick pan...that happens when:

1. I'm taking slow turns near the maximum steering range.
2. When I enter a raised entrance to a driveway/store/parking lot/road.
3. Sometimes when I am on the road at speed and I press or depress the gas.
4. When I am at a stop and cycle through the gears from reverse to drive and back.

In each instance it is the same sound. I ruled out CV/half axle, because its not a clicking sound while turning. The tie rod ends are good, and nothing was said about the control arms during inspection. The sway bar links are a little dry rotted, but the car turns fine without any excessive lean. The transmission/motor mounts look new still. Suspension seems solid and clean.

I am going to replace the sway bar links against my better judgement but I really think there is something else going on here... Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Default Clunk noise in front end

Better put it on a rack check out the right side of sub frame for rust!! Can be dangerous. If rusted call 888-327-4236 and report it.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Default whoa

Wow really? That seems crazy but worth looking into...ls is this a common issue? Will I beable to see it if I jack the car up? I'm not sure exactly where the sub frame is though...

Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Post Clunk noise

Replace your sway bar bushings as well. Common reason for this kind of noise and almost impossible to find when searching for the reason. I have the same in my 04. The links are also a common reason, but I replaced mine last year when changing my springs, as I had to cut one of them to get it off. This noise was there already then, but it did'nt change. Now it has become too bad. New bushings are ordered.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Ahh yeah I just did that a couple weeks ago, along with the drivers side tie rod end. Well then maybe the links are the answer just doesnt seem like they could make that noise....atleast on any other car....don't leave home without the PB Blaster!