Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Pacifica Tick Tick Noise?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Default 2006 Pacifica Tick Tick Noise?

We purchased a 2006 3.5 liter Pacifica new in 2007 and it's always had a slight "Tick Tick" noise upon start up from the engine. It sounds like a sticky lifter and varies with RPM. It never shows up if engine is already warm or unless it's less the 60 degrees C outside. Sometimes when it's cold and I start the car and it's ticking, I can turn it off and restart it instantly and it usually stops the ticking?

I have always changed the oil and filter every 5k with full Castrol synthetic using whatever blend that the retailer has. What does this sound like the problem is to you? Would it help if I went to a thicker or thinner old blend of Syntech like 5w50 versus 10w40 or???

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM

Sounds like very normal lifter noise. Common in the 3.5L HO engine. This is a very reliable engine and nearly bulletproof when properly maintained. Stick with MOPARŽ API Certified SAE 10W-30 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Lubricants that do not have both, the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 PM

CC: I dumped a pint of Sea Foam cleaner in to try and unstick what sounds like a sticky lifter. Will change the oil tomorrow using the factory recommendation of 10W-30 full synthetic Castrol and a new filter to see if your comment gets it done.

I know what a smooth-running engine should sound like as it sounds great when warm. When cold, this motor sounds like when you just adjusted your single cylinder dirt bike but used two feeler gages that were stuck together: tick TICK TICK! It's way too loud. CW

Old 09-20-2013, 03:31 PM

:-)
Thats a great description! Now THAT doesn't sound normal!
Good luck on getting it resolved.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM

I have a GMC Sierra Picup that does the same thing on initial start up... After warm up the ticking is gone or very faint. The position of the engine allows the old to drain back to the low point and the lifters get a little dry. I also used Seafoam but it did not stop the ticking.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:16 AM
Arrow 2005 Pacifica Tick Noise

Hello, completely new to this forum. At other forums, I read that this issue could be related to a sheared off dowel pin that helps to keep the rocker arm assembly in place. I decided not to check specifically where the noise was coming from because the noise was so loud that I thought I would find something completely wrong in the rocker assemblies. To my surprise I took them both out this weekend and did not notice any of the dowels sheered off, they are all the same size. I also removed the shaft from the side that does not have the dowels on it (don't know how to remove the other shaft, dowels don't come out) and the shaft does not appear to have any excessive wear on it as if something were grinding against it.

However, I did notice that some of the lashes are dented in more than others and one of them actually has the plastic retainer cracked. Does anyone know if this would be a possible cause to the issue?

Definitely looking to save money, any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!