Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Loud tick from engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Default Loud tick from engine

Hello everyone, as you can see I'm not the best car savvy person around. Unfortunately recently within the past week my car has had a loud tick from my engine. Within the week it has gotten worse. To the point as soon as I accelerate you can hear the ticking. I'm not sure what to make of it. I bought the car a little over a year ago, and am about to go had its oil changed, I'm sure that won't fix the issue though. Any one have any ideas? And a price estimate? I know it ain't gonna be cheat I'm sure lol.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

A tick usually means a squashed lifter. Changing the oil regularly can help prevent it from occurring but probably won't cure it after it happens. There's a remote chance that an engine flush would help. There are additives you put in the oil that contain strong solvents that can dissolve varnish and gunk that may be causing the lifter to stick. The idea is that you put this stuff in and run the engine for a few minutes BEFORE changing the oil to try to get the crud loosened up, so that upon changing the oil, you get rid of it. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM

same problem here

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM

You can put in 1/2 a can of "seafoam" and drive it like you stole it. You DON'T need to drain the oil a few minuets after, the seafoam will heat to a vapor and pass through the egr valve. Put the other 1/2 in the gas tank to clean the fuel system.

Mike

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Seafoam...lol.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Seafoam...lol.
Well...I really want to know how a Nice clean EGR does anything to correct for a "Flat" lifter..... Oh yeah ...I forgot, The OSMOSIS FACTOR......

Cmon now guys, Leave the SNAKE OILS home....

A tick, can be Just about anything..........From Flat lifter, to an Exhaust manifold with a crack in it......And Pouring Magic potions into your fuel tank will do nothing for you......

Engine flush......NO...... In theory, it should work, but in real life, all that Junk gets loosened up and falls down into the pan....In case you didnt know.....Almost every car ever made, will retain some portion of the oil during an oil change.....And unless you can flip the car on its side and shake it...Thats just the way it is........

Anything that falls into the pan and does not get out during routine service, is then ready food to be sucked up by a hungry pick up tube, and sent back where it started, if youre lucky....Most times it plugs the screen, making your oiling issue severely worse.