Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2007 chrysler pacifica. 3.8l, stuck in third gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:08 PM
Default 2007 chrysler pacifica. 3.8l, stuck in third gear.

So everyone. Weird issue going on... about 2 months ago, my Pacifica refuses to shift out of 3rd gear. Registers park, reverse, neutral, drive, and auto stick. But I cant get it shift into any gears other than 3rd. Reverse works great, but even auto stick forces me to stay in 3rd gear. I need help. I've cleaned all connectors plugged into the transmission. I've checked fuses and relays. I get a P0882- low tcm voltage code and some other stuff like an o2 sensor code and a multiple misfire code. But I'm focusing in the transmission right now. Anyone else experienced this? I believe it's a 62te transmission, but everywhere I read says my 3.8 only came with the 42te so I'm not even sure on the transmission anymore. I just need some help. Thank you in advance

Old 02-08-2021, 10:10 AM

How old is the battery and what condition is it in? Low voltage due to a weak/failing battery can cause all sorts of sorts of weird and seemingly unrelated issues and obd codes (trans, O2, misfires). You may also want to check to check out the alternator; a failing diode can allow an ac ripple through that can mimic a low voltage condition or possibly reset some of the computer modules/components.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:34 AM

Brand new battery actually. I put a 65 series battery in since it fits and I have a ton of them thanks to all my fords. Alternator puts out average of 14 volts, my live alternator tester shows I stay between 13.8 volts to 14.2 volts when under a load.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:41 PM
Default Any Solution to problem????

Originally Posted by Mr.ginger
So everyone. Weird issue going on... about 2 months ago, my Pacifica refuses to shift out of 3rd gear. Registers park, reverse, neutral, drive, and auto stick. But I cant get it shift into any gears other than 3rd. Reverse works great, but even auto stick forces me to stay in 3rd gear. I need help. I've cleaned all connectors plugged into the transmission. I've checked fuses and relays. I get a P0882- low tcm voltage code and some other stuff like an o2 sensor code and a multiple misfire code. But I'm focusing in the transmission right now. Anyone else experienced this? I believe it's a 62te transmission, but everywhere I read says my 3.8 only came with the 42te so I'm not even sure on the transmission anymore. I just need some help. Thank you in advance
I just found your post and was wondering if you have found a solution to the 3rd gear problem. We have the exact same car (07, pacifica, 3.8L, Base) with the same issue. started out with occasionally shiftng to 3rd and staying there for a few minutes then shifting. checked fluid levels etc, nothing seemed wrong or out of the ordinary. No burnt smell to fluid, clean and no particles showing on dip stick.Cant connect a obd reader to data port. dataport is damaged. Finally after about a week of ocassional sticking, it stuck in third gear. Park, reverse, neuteral all work. Auto stick will only go to 3rd. Local transmission shops want anywhere from 150-300 just for diagnostics.

If you or any of the other readers can shed any light, it would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2022, 09:30 AM

I am curious to know if you have been able to correct this problem. I also have a 2007 Pacifica that is stuck in 3rd gear. New battery, trans fluid level correct, no scent of burnt trans fluid, fluid is clear on dipstick. Park, neutral, reverse all work fine. Auto-stick always shows 3rd gear and won't change. I am unable to read any codes due to a damaged OBD data port. I really hate the thought of randomly replacing parts to try to fix the issue.

The problem started with the car periodically shifting out of 3rd much slower than other gears. It would do this maybe once or twice a week. more often if it was raining. Finally, after about one month, it just decided it liked 3rd gear and wouldn't shift into any other forward gear.

If you or some other member may be able to shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
MisterDK

Old 03-15-2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MisterDK
I am curious to know if you have been able to correct this problem. I also have a 2007 Pacifica that is stuck in 3rd gear. New battery, trans fluid level correct, no scent of burnt trans fluid, fluid is clear on dipstick. Park, neutral, reverse all work fine. Auto-stick always shows 3rd gear and won't change. I am unable to read any codes due to a damaged OBD data port. I really hate the thought of randomly replacing parts to try to fix the issue.

The problem started with the car periodically shifting out of 3rd much slower than other gears. It would do this maybe once or twice a week. more often if it was raining. Finally, after about one month, it just decided it liked 3rd gear and wouldn't shift into any other forward gear.

If you or some other member may be able to shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
MisterDK
So my problem actually turned out to be an entire pcm. I ordered one from flagship one for about 450 bucks and have it shipped to me. I replaced everything. I replaced the solenoid pack and the tcm, the input and output speed sensors, filter and fluid, and a bunch of abs sensors. I could never get it out of third gear autostick didn't work and it just ran sluggish. After I replaced the PCM the vehicle shifted and it all gears totally fine and almost gain some power back at the same time. I had other issues going on such as an ABS module failure and a misfire on multiple cylinders that wouldn't go away but all in all it was corrected after the computer replacement. Good luck to you hopefully it's not as expensive as mine

Old 03-16-2022, 11:12 AM

I did find a company that will take your existing PCM, repair it and re-flash it with the most current software version for a little over $100. Tempted to give them a try. I was talking to another person that was a mechanic. He suggested a couple of things also. pull the PCM and make sure all the contacts are clean and corrosion free. also disconnect the battery and leave the ignition switch in the on position to drain any residual power left in the electronics. I may try those before going the repair route.

I had a bad experience with the PCM on a Chrysler 200 a few years ago. the shop had to replace it because it was totally fried. The case was actually melted in a couple of spots. The New one was supposed to be programmed for the car when it was delivered to the shop. When it arrived and was installed the car woild not start, For some reason the vin that they programmed it with (which was the vin from the car) wouldn't work with the car. ended up having to put the old one back in, take it to the Chrysler dealership and they had to re-flash it. Not once, but twice. the flash didn't want to take. It only lasted a couple of months and did the same thing again. ended up trading the car in after that.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:22 AM

I did find a company that will take your existing PCM, repair it and re-flash it with the most current software version for a little over $100. Tempted to give them a try. I was talking to another person that was a mechanic. He suggested a couple of things also. pull the PCM and make sure all the contacts are clean and corrosion free. also disconnect the battery and leave the ignition switch in the on position to drain any residual power left in the electronics. I may try those before going the repair route.

I had a bad experience with the PCM on a Chrysler 200 a few years ago. the shop had to replace it because it was totally fried. The case was actually melted in a couple of spots. The New one was supposed to be programmed for the car when it was delivered to the shop. When it arrived and was installed the car woild not start, For some reason the vin that they programmed it with (which was the vin from the car) wouldn't work with the car. ended up having to put the old one back in, take it to the Chrysler dealership and they had to re-flash it. Not once, but twice. the flash didn't want to take. It only lasted a couple of months and did the same thing again. ended up trading the car in after that.
I cleaned the connectors, drained the battery numerous times, and did everything I could. The internals of my pcm had failed and was causing a lot of weird issues. I tried flashing to no avail. I put a new pcm in it and fixed it all. I sold it now as I was tired of all the repairs but the pcm definitely had to be replaced on mine

Old 03-17-2022, 05:43 PM

Thanks in advance,
MisterDK
I had the exact same issue with my '07 Pacifica. Well, I live closer to the east coast, so I call mine Atlantica. Anyway, same symptoms, stuck in 3rd, seemingly no other issues. Just randomly wouldn't shift. Looked online for solutions, nothing worked. I ended up replacing the solenoid pack, sometimes called the kickdown solenoid.
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...5140429AA.html

I hope this helps.